peculiar case of HITH, i know, another HITH

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
75 gallon, 15" jag, fluval 405, 2 whisper 60s, weekly 75% water changes, mix of new life spectrum jumbo fish formula, hikari bio gold, hikari gold, tetra cichlid sticks, tetra cichlid color sticks, and tetra jumbomin. no attempted tankmates in years. i use carbon but havent changed it in a while and it is probably saturated with meds (from velvet that has now cleared up fine). i will be cleaning the fluval soon. i have heard so many causes and even more cures. any ideas? worst case i could use that 75 for lots of other things, but i like this guy and everywhere i post him everyone loves him. if it helps, it isnt the kind where it is a big gaping hole, its more like areas of light coloration and enlarging holes. so its not the kind where it looks like chunks have been scooped out. there is no discharge. only around head.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I would remove the carbon, perform daily 25% water changes, use Lifeguard cure, and continue the Bio-Gold, and add Omega One pelets to the diet. Also some live ghost shrimp couldn't hurt the diet either.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
i dont feed live for the specific reason to not introduce parasites and diseases, so the ghost shrimp arent happening. and i know other foods have fish in them, but i am againt ocean fishing, so omega one isnt exactly what i want to encourage. we have done enough damage to the oceans by overfishing for us, we dont need to do it even more for our fish too.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
any thoughts on adding mineral and trace element supplements? i know seachem has at least one for SA/CA cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store