Pelvicachromis

aquaboyaquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hello,

I am new to the forum, Does anyone have experience breeding any of the pelvicachromis taeniatus before. I have breed a few now but only 1 spawn. Each time the parents would die afterwords with a abdomen problem. It looks similar to bloat seen in tropheus. I am starting to think the location of these fishes mouth might suggest they feed on algae in the wild? Or sand sifters?

Any input would be great?

Thanks,
Mike

Stenersen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Akershus, Norway
Your taeniatus isn`t by any chance bred in Singapore?
I know there has been problems with dwarf cichlids from some breeders there concerning the intestian parasite camallanus cotti...

These fish is normally easy to keep as long as the pH is not too high and the water is soft.
Provided with the right food like different sorts og frozen live food like artemia,bosmids etc along with varied commercial dry foods og good quality - I can`t see why they should be difficult to breed.

Katuluu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Minneapolis
They're omnivores like any other Krib. But depending on the local of the WC specimen, they can be a bit more difficult to keep then Pelvicachromis pulcher. I would make sure to include some spirulina in their diet, but they aren't herbivores like tropheus.

Have you been buying them from the same place? It may be something on their end rather then any lack of care on your part.

aquaboyaquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
They are supposed to be wild all coming from Rehoboth Aquatics. I have noticed they do not do well on blood worms. I have also had similar problems with the Nanochromis species. The buffalo heads do not seem to have this problem. PH may be a cause? I use RO water but buffer with tap. Because of my tap water conditions i always have a PH of around 7.4 but realy soft. 100 on a conductivity meter. I have also noticed they do not like deep water. Thanks for the replies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store