Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Hi all. I need to buy a canister for my 75. I had a pair of Fluval 405s. They went out. They were great for a few years, then they got loud, and shut off or not restart.
While shopping I came across a Penn Plax Cascade canister. I know Penn Plax has been around. Does anyone have experience with these filter? I am on a budget and considered a Sunsun, but I have read here of people experiencing leaks with them, which I absolutely do not want. Make a recommendation if you have one or have experience with a canister mentioned, or not mentioned. Thanks in advance.

DAM

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2005
Iowa
I've been running a 1000 on a 58 gallon for a couple years. Same advertised flow as my old Sunsun 302 (265 gph), but when loaded with media (all Poret foam), the Cascade moves significantly more water. I did have a leaky valve after one of my annual disassembles, but I believe it was operator error; I overtightened the valve when reassembling previously, and damaged the internal seal. A replacement valve fixed the problem.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
I am currently running 3 on 3 different tanks, and plan to purchase a 4th next week for another tank. I really like them. Excellent filter, moves a lot of water and keeps the tank crystal clear. And the price on them is actually reasonable, unlike most other canisters.

If you buy one, make sure you buy bio balls/rings or whatever your preferred bio media is, separately. They come with sponges for all the baskets but the box does not include bio media.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Thank you both D DAM Sinister-Kisses Sinister-Kisses ! I have decided I like what I'm hearing. I also saw a couple reviews on yt. I've decided to get the 1500. I'm going to order it and have it running by next week!
Sinister-Kisses Sinister-Kisses , I will definitely buy some bio rings. My LFS sells bio rings that are ready to go. (From one of their tanks) No need to wait around for bacteria, I'm buying fish next week! lol

Last edited:
Reactions: DAM
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store