pentair tank sanding and redoing gel coat?

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Happy to see your persistent even though lack of others experience/help hope this helps others in the future. Goodluck!!!

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I have a few of these ponds. The paint chips have been a bother for years. They slowly peel off and collect on my strainers. Mine didn't start flaking for some time. Odd yours are flaking so quickly. I wonder if they shipped it fresh before fully curing.

Biggest drawback to these systems is the paint/gel. For those that use them stock without removing the paint, I suggest keeping barebottom. Possibly sand or light substrate as larger rocks really scrape up the paint chips in my experience.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Correct no iIl effects from using them. Wasn't trashing them. There are some benefits. They are light, I can move them and plumb them by myself easily. I use the 8x4x3 720 gallon models so this is significant. Tanks of this size would weigh a ton if built with glass or even acrylic and would also cost a great deal more than these ponds. You also don't need a stand. They are easy to drill and very rugged and sturdy. The glass is the only weak point. You can call them and order them without glass for a cheaper cost also.

I just wish I would find a similar model that didn't flake paint. The only negative in my review of them.

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
Light, and easy to plumb were the 2 reason i went with one of these instead of making my own ply tank. And wanting it sooner then latter. But not after receiving this tank there is nonway i would use it this way with the gel coat just falling off. Ow well lession learned i guess. These are cheaper but not cheap for the price they should be better

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

gmalone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2011
middletown, CT
OK, I'm three years late but am just seeing this now.
I'm no expert but here's my opinion on this. I would use 60 grit in a random orbit sander to remove the gel coat down to the fiberglass.
I wouldn't go any finer than 60 grit as I would then use Pond Armor to coat the entire inside and they recommend using 60 grit.
Pond Armor comes in several different colors and I prefer black over the ugly blue these tanks come in.
It isn't cheap but it works great and from my personnel experience with it, it holds up really well if the surface is prepared properly.
There's lots on information on this site about Pond Armor.
Thanks for reading.

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
OK, I'm three years late but am just seeing this now.
I'm no expert but here's my opinion on this. I would use 60 grit in a random orbit sander to remove the gel coat down to the fiberglass.
I wouldn't go any finer than 60 grit as I would then use Pond Armor to coat the entire inside and they recommend using 60 grit.
Pond Armor comes in several different colors and I prefer black over the ugly blue these tanks come in.
It isn't cheap but it works great and from my personnel experience with it, it holds up really well if the surface is prepared properly.
There's lots on information on this site about Pond Armor.
Thanks for reading.

Very late for sure. Seems to be a common problem with these tanks. I sold this not long after that post. I thinkb60 grit would tear that tank up pretty quick.

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
If it were me I'd try coating over the gel coat with epoxy paint. Interseal 670hs works well IME. Stuff dries very super hard, would entrap the gel coat and wouldn't allow it to peel off.

If I remember correctly epoxy will adhere to polyester finishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store