people keep trying ....

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05...he-most-expensive-aquarium-fish-in-the-world/

A Garden Grove man admitted Wednesday to breaking federal law by helping to smuggle Asian arowana fish, identified as the most expensive aquarium fish in the world, into the United States from Indonesia.

Shawn Naolu Lee, during a hearing at a federal courthouse in Los Angeles, pleaded guilty to breaking the Endangered Species Act by importing a species of fish facing extinction.

In his plea agreement, Lee admitted to working with co-defendant Mickey Tanadi, who was located in Indonesia, to transport the fish, despite warnings from Tanadi that the Asian arowana fish are illegal in the United States and would have to be smuggled into the country.

Lee wired $2,550 to Tanadi for eight Asian arowana fish, according to the plea deal. Authorities allege that Tanadi placed the fish in bags of water hidden in porcelain pots to avoid detection during shipping.

A U.S. Customs and Enforcement Protection officer flagged the package containing the pots after noticing that it was wet, according to court filings. The officer opened the package and found the fish, then notified the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

Under the supervision of a Fish and Wildlife agent, the package was delivered to Lee’s home, where he signed for it, according to the plea deal. Law enforcement stopped Lee minutes later as he drove away from the home, a bag holding the eight Asian Arowana fish in his vehicle.

It isn’t clear how much Lee planned to sell the fish for. But federal prosecutors in court filings estimate that the fish were worth about $1,000 to $2,000 each, leading them to estimate that the shipment was worth more than $6,500.

Lee is scheduled to return to court for sentencing on July 23

Reactions: FMA4ME

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
People will do just about anything for money... at least they were realistic with the value this time

Tim the fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05...he-most-expensive-aquarium-fish-in-the-world/

A Garden Grove man admitted Wednesday to breaking federal law by helping to smuggle Asian arowana fish, identified as the most expensive aquarium fish in the world, into the United States from Indonesia.

Shawn Naolu Lee, during a hearing at a federal courthouse in Los Angeles, pleaded guilty to breaking the Endangered Species Act by importing a species of fish facing extinction.

In his plea agreement, Lee admitted to working with co-defendant Mickey Tanadi, who was located in Indonesia, to transport the fish, despite warnings from Tanadi that the Asian arowana fish are illegal in the United States and would have to be smuggled into the country.

Lee wired $2,550 to Tanadi for eight Asian arowana fish, according to the plea deal. Authorities allege that Tanadi placed the fish in bags of water hidden in porcelain pots to avoid detection during shipping.

A U.S. Customs and Enforcement Protection officer flagged the package containing the pots after noticing that it was wet, according to court filings. The officer opened the package and found the fish, then notified the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

Under the supervision of a Fish and Wildlife agent, the package was delivered to Lee’s home, where he signed for it, according to the plea deal. Law enforcement stopped Lee minutes later as he drove away from the home, a bag holding the eight Asian Arowana fish in his vehicle.

It isn’t clear how much Lee planned to sell the fish for. But federal prosecutors in court filings estimate that the fish were worth about $1,000 to $2,000 each, leading them to estimate that the shipment was worth more than $6,500.

Lee is scheduled to return to court for sentencing on July 23
Glad he was caught. Even though it's tempting to want something rare, these laws exist for a reason. The fish would not be endangered if it wasn't for collectors, habit destruction and so forth. I used to collect orchids. I knew someone who smuggled an endangered plant I to the US. He was part of the orchid society in which I was a member of. He couldn't provide the right environment for the plant and it ended up dying. What a shame.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I watched a show on extreme smuggling illegal animal trade. It is insane what they do to get these types of animals here.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Glad he was caught. Even though it's tempting to want something rare, these laws exist for a reason. The fish would not be endangered if it wasn't for collectors, habit destruction and so forth. I used to collect orchids. I knew someone who smuggled an endangered plant I to the US. He was part of the orchid society in which I was a member of. He couldn't provide the right environment for the plant and it ended up dying. What a shame.
there should be a license where if u have a huge pond or something to breed them and help raise the count of species

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Still don't understand why the fancy variants are still banned,as long as they are banned there will be a black market
We don't agree on a lot but this i do. If anything, aquarists who are dedicated to sustaining and breeding the asian arowana will ensure its survival. All these silly laws do is encourage the poachers and smugglers by making the prices so astronomical.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I agree there should be an avenue to allow domestic breeding for certain banned species.
Yes I mean we allow ift for other species such as pacu,arapima,suncatfish,koi (there ancestors are endangered in their natural range).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store