Percocet Pike

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
so today while at the local petco, the salesman brought to my attention a pike cichlid. I had seen some before and have always been interested, and this one could be mine for the low price of $9.99. In the communities experience, what kind of pike cichlid is it? He is about 2.5 inches long and has a bunch of spunk (though he is very shy). I am sure as he grows he will also grow in personality.

Can’t get a picture now, getting tired, and he is hiding. Hopefully he behaves himself and doesn’t kill any of the other fish. Of note are 2 small peacock bass (about the same size) as well as 2 chocolate cichlids (same length about). The tank is fairly peaceful except for th king of the tank, a vampire pleco that throws himself suicidally at anyone he feels could be eating his chow.

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
Oh, at the 2.5 inch size he seems to have a yellow/pale base color and his sides have pronounced brown stripes that don’t quite wrap around the entire fish.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Percocet pike...lol. Highly addictive pike cichlid. I remember petco used to get bellycrawlers.

Reactions: mrrobxc

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
Yes I meant petco but stupid auto correct

Anyway, this is the best I could get atm. I must say these guys are very entertaining to watch. Between the peacock bass and the chocolate cichlids in this tank, this fella seems more aware in general of his surroundings. He is more energetic and animated when he explores, and took no time at all to claim the piece of pvc pipe in the back as his home. Very skittish fish, but seemingly curious as well. I don’t think I have ever owned a fish with this kind of personality. My Oscars and fire eel are happy when I am around and beg for food. My ornate bichir don’t like to see my ugly face and hide at the drop of a hat (or any sign of movement). The peacock bass just seem content to swim around towards the top levels of the tank. But this pike cichlid, I mean... am I alone here or do people think these guys might have some real intelligence?

A2341F6C-3F1B-4DAC-81AA-083158090B81.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Does look like sp belly crawler. Definitely a smart group of fish!

Reactions: bbortko and mrrobxc

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would agree it looks like a belly crawler. Get about 6", stay mostly at the bottom, and not overly aggressive. Good species for somebody new to pikes. And I have found pikes to be very personable and entertaining to own.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Good luck with them. These and sveni are the first pikes for many folks. If you catch the bug, you’ll end up with many more. Welcome to the club!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store