PERENTIE LIZARD ( Varanus giganteus )

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Can grow over 7 feet in length, I really find the appearence of this Monitor Lizard facinating. Is anyone with a dream of keeping a Perentie? Have you watched Austin Stevens' Perentie Lizard episode? It was awesome.

I also watched one of the Crocodile Hunter episodes where a baby Perentie was in a room with other reptiles that they care for, the baby looked awesome, such attractive pattern. I read that they have poisonous bite, is that true? Or is it only from wild specimens who feed on carrions and typically have bacteria buildup?

The Perentie Monitor:
http://home.earthlink.net/~reptile....tie Monitor/Articles/The Perentie Monitor.htm

ausperentie_h.jpg

longneck.jpg

770px-Perentie_Lizard_Perth_Zoo_SMC_Spet_2005.jpg

perentieHead.jpg

020854_perentie.jpg

020932_perentie.jpg

05111033PD_perentie.jpg

gall1a.jpg

molochPerentieVaranusGiganteus.jpg

watermark.jpg

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course
random but awesome pics..

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
They are a bad ass monitor. I saw an episode of the Crocodile Hunter where he had a big wild male cornered. All it did is puff up and whip him with it's tail. I'd hate to be bit by a big one. I've never seen one offered for sale.

Ophiuchus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
AL
www.ShiningSnakes.com
Sarco, the more accurate term is venomous, since the toxins are injected into the bloodstream. A poison is technically absorbed, either by ingestion or thru the skin (Ex. poison dart frogs or puffer fish).

I don't know if the perenties have that same toxic bacteria in their saliva like Komodos, but I wouldn't be surprised.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Isn't that the largest Monitor in Australia?

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Vicious_Fish;829873; said:
I've never seen one offered for sale.
They will NEVER be seen for sale, which is good. And yes, the Perenty is the largest goanna in Australia and 3rd largest in the world.

cichla1004

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Florida
Technically I think he was right about poisonous because a perentie bite wouldn't involve any injecting. The saliva is absorbed into the bloodstream. No fangs.

Ophiuchus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
AL
www.ShiningSnakes.com
cichla1004;830459; said:
Technically I think he was right about poisonous because a perentie bite wouldn't involve any injecting. The saliva is absorbed into the bloodstream. No fangs.
No, its still not poisonous. I rephrase my earlier statement; venom is more determined by how it affects the body, not necessarily its delivery. It has to enter the bloodstream to do what its intended to do.

A human can actually drink small amounts of snake venom, and not affect them longterm. Sure, they might get a stomach ache, but its not affecting them the way it was meant to. Likewise, you can smear snake venom all over your skin, but unless it gets in an open wound or something (or your eyes), you'll be fine.

But poisonous animals, like many amphibians, some insects, mushrooms and fish, it is meant to be absorbed thru the skin or ingested.

stonecat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2007
central pennsylvania
Dont think that you will ever see these in private collections, all reptiles have to be captive bred from aus. You might see lace monitors in the private world because they are very common in aus. These are not even common in zoos like the komodo dragons are. Great monitor 3 largest by weight, they get as big as waters with out the body mass and not as long as a croc monitor.

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
I agree with Opiuchus, Venomous it is. Thanks man, I read that too. So its bite is venomous? That sucks.

If I ever find a Perentie on sale, of course I wouldn't touch it if I can't provide its requirements. I am just adding into my Dream Animal List.:) Yes the pictures are random but nice, surprised how few pictures of Perenties there are online.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store