Pet fox?

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Foxes are sexually mature at 9 months and then they scent mark their territory - repeatedly and often. Really bad smells.

• Haha
Reactions: Redshark1

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Does anyone own a pet fox?
Or do they require a license?
My uncle does, though he lives in the mountains and isn’t very social with his fox, named Bear. He has a huge outside aviary-style enclosure as well as indoor, though everytime I go to his cabin he always puts Bear away for fear of aggression, I assume. Definitely require a special permit and license here. The fox he has he rescued from birth and was raised with him as Bears ‘mom’. 100% a MASSIVE commitment.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
This will probably come off as ranty, but I genuinely don’t understand why one would want a fox as pet. Is this not what we have bred dogs for over the last few thousand years? So that we can have canine companions that aren’t wild animals. Seems to me like they would make horrible pets.

That’s just my two cents. Unless you were running some sort of animal sanctuary, taking in rescues that have been declared non-releasable.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
This will probably come off as ranty, but I genuinely don’t understand why one would want a fox as pet. Is this not what we have bred dogs for over the last few thousand years? So that we can have canine companions that aren’t wild animals. Seems to me like they would make horrible pets.

That’s just my two cents. Unless you were running some sort of animal sanctuary, taking in rescues that have been declared non-releasable.
People have bred "tamed" "domestic" foxes, but this as mentioned, does not negate the fact that they are essentially giant ferrets mixed with cats, as they have an extremely high prey drive, are very active, and mark their scent on everything.

On the dog note, might I interest you in either a pomsky:
1721642713275.png1721642729389.png
corgi with a tail:
1721642875430.png
or husky dachshund mix:
1721642987951.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store