Petco Peacock Bass

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
so my Petco contact notified me he had gotten peacock bass in (for the low price of $9.99). When I got there they had 3 of them and I picked up 2 of them. I currently don’t have an aquarium to House the full grown ones, but that is my next project after I finish the basement.

I tried to lookup to see what species I have (alas I don’t have pictures right now) but from the searching the consensus has usually been Orinoco or some kind of hybrid. Does anyone who has gotten Petco peacock bass experience know what kind these are? What sizes do they get and what kind of growth rates can I expect?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ten bucks....Petco? They are probably farm hybrids.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Probably mono/ocelleris hybrid 18 to 20+inches, average 1” per month or more on good tank husbandry. There have been some monsterous Peruvian monos kept in captivity back in the days cant remember 100% but +\- 24” rings a bell could be wrong though. It seems these days people don’t keep them that long or they die off from health issues. Hope to see yours reach monsterous size keep us posted :)

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
I will get some photos. They are pretty small right now. Had to move some fish to allow them some safety. Put a larger chocolate cichlid in a 60 gallon that just opened up (lost my flowerhorn) and put a smaller flowerhorn into my sump. Also got a red striped geophagus last night. With the threats removed all that was left was a tiger loach, 5 skunk loach, and a small school of medium sized clowns loaches. Also a salvini and a few jewel cichlids. The tiger loach seemed to get joy just chasing the newbies around last night, but checking to see how things were this morning, the baby bass seem to be at home and are quite a bit calmer. Tiger loach just seemed to be getting enjoyment from chasing, but is now back to business as usual (such a funny loach).

Reactions: cigars

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Check this out

Reactions: Tony A.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
What am I looking at here? Are these Petco peacock bass or is this just a video of some peacock bass lol?
Well......... these are monos you asked about potential size you can watch the video and possibly decipher approximate size that yours may be. These are probably NOT Petco farmies but you can get the idea or maybe not........ lol jk ;)

Reactions: Tony A.

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Good luck with the little bass. keep us posted.
And here is another tank I would like, I think its a little small for the P. Bass. Some monster Tems.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigars
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store