Petition to legalize the Asian Arowana (USA)

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
765 signatures as of now. I've been out with mono all week, so haven't had a chance to share this any more than I have already.
Will try some stuff this week.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Perhaps RD hurt made him mad and he left because of it? A funny idea but an idea that could work as rd does not sugar coat his words.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
But what about s.inscriptus and all? Will they be legalized too?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
But what about s.inscriptus and all? Will they be legalized too?
Currently, the only listed species on CITES are Scleropages inscriptus and Scleropages formosus. Both are Appendix I, meaning they can't be transferred without being certified, coming from a certified farm, and containing a microchip ID.

There is/was a proposal to split Scleropages formosus up into four species (formosus, macrocephalus, legendrei, and aureus), but AFAIK neither the US gov't nor CITES recognizes these as individual species.

The Endangered Species Act only lists Scleropages formosus, so by technicality you might be able to import a CITES-approved inscriptus. The issue you would run into though, is FWS not recognizing the two species as different. Scleropages formosus was added to the ESA in 1973, whereas Scleropages inscriptus was only recognized as its own species in 2012. So, it's likely that FWS still considers inscriptus to be formosus, just like the other species.

But to answer your question, the proposal would be to make all species of asian arowana legal for import, so long as they are certified by CITES and microchipped for identity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store