Petition to legalize the Asian Arowana (USA)

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Also, as of 11:10 AM ET we are at 156 signatures :)
Nothing too huge, but certainly bigger than I thought it would get in a bit over 12 hours

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Joey's group admins removed my post because it was a "promotion". Needless to say I left that one...
Although, we are close to 200 signatures

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I wish you the best with this and will be signing the petition, though one thing (and sorry to be nitpicky): in your very well worded writing you mention about the potential massive economic impact if Asian Arowana could be successfully bred in the US.

While I've heard of a couple of instances of Asian Arowana breeding successfully on a very small scale in other regions (but personally haven't seen evidence of the supposed results), it is believed that Asian Arowana have highly sensitive magnetic detectors, and will only breed on a large scale in a very narrow magnetic band near the earth's equator, so I personally doubt that any large scale breeding programs in the US would ever be successful. If it could be done the Chinese would assuredly already be doing it, but they can't -- they get all their Asian Aros from SEA countries near the equator.

Of course this doesn't take away from the rest of your good points though, and I'm not trying to pop any balloons (just trying to help with a little kink in the armor of your petition), there really is no longer a logical and justifiable reason they're illegal in the US.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I wish you the best with this and will be signing the petition, though one thing (and sorry to be nitpicky): in your very well worded writing you mention about the potential massive economic impact if Asian Arowana could be successfully bred in the US.

While I've heard of a couple of instances of Asian Arowana breeding successfully on a very small scale in other regions (but personally haven't seen evidence of the supposed results), it is believed that Asian Arowana have highly sensitive magnetic detectors, and will only breed on a large scale in a very narrow magnetic band near the earth's equator, so I personally doubt that any large scale breeding programs in the US would ever be successful. If it could be done the Chinese would assuredly already be doing it, but they can't -- they get all their Asian Aros from SEA countries near the equator.

Of course this doesn't take away from the rest of your good points though, and I'm not trying to pop any balloons (just trying to help with a little kink in the armor of your petition), there really is no longer a logical and justifiable reason they're illegal in the US.
Thanks for your detailed response. I was unaware of the part about them breeding - so perhaps breeding in the US is not feasible. Worth a shot, but likely we won't ever see large-scale breeding in the US.
Still though, the hobby would have a large boom just due to the importation of thousands of $1000+ fish.

Hopefully this can get somewhere, and thanks for the kind words-
Drew

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
It definitely would not have a massive economic or social impact but it could help maintain a stable captive bred population of the fish if they are exterminated from their native habitat as it did with the red tail black shark.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I will sign as well. These have been tried in the past and no heed. Its unfortunate. But I think its more then just protecting the wild population. Just saying. Search this in threads it pops up every once in a while. There was a large thread that had some good info on this giving alternate reasons as to why they are still baned even though they are actively being captive bred from captive stock.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Signed / donated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store