pH and specific gravity

Jamie Chambers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2020
I just did another test and the specific gravity is around 1.022 - 1.023 which is right for a fowlr tank but I have a test kit and the pH keeps reading 7.2 -7.6. I'm confused.

Also I used a second hand filter with bacteria already on it and also live rock so how long should it take to cycle. This guy also gave me some of his water change water in barrels which filled half the tank so I'm not sure whether or not the tank will be cycled quickly.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
RD. RD. duanes duanes

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Do you have any substrate in the tank?
What is your source water ph?
A crush coral or argonite substrate will go along way to buffering your Ph.

The live rock and filter media will add the cycle starting bacteria.

I’m afraid adding the other guys water usually won’t do much, because the nitrifying bacteria needs a surface to attach to.
In fact adding his old water may have done nothing but add unwanted nitrates and phosphate to your tank.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I will add that the actual salt will not affect the ph, their are other compounds in the salt mix like calcium and other ph buffering carbonates that are designed to replace used minerals and buffer the ph.
This is why I mentioned the substrate.
What salt mix are you using?

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Salt mix for corals or reef tanks will have more ph effects then standard salt. And different brands will also give different results. My reef tanks didnt like instant ocean but liked reef crystals same brand different mix different added ingredients.

Reactions: tlindsey and BIG-G

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Same here Reef crystal for reef and instant ocean for FOWLR.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Also I used rodi water and with reef crystals my ph was around 7.8 after it was to temp and mixed. I think the io was less but after 1 wc with it and all my corals reacted bad I never used it again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store