Photoshop CS4 and .NEF files 64bit OS

Spectabilis

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Stratford-on-Avon U.K
Hi i've just recently realised that PS doesn't correctly read .NEF files causing the colours to look dull . I've installed the plugin but it appears to be support 32bit only. Are there any changeable settings in PS raw converter , maybe the default is set to AdobeRGB not sRGB if so where would I find these settings?

Spectabilis

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Stratford-on-Avon U.K
Chaitika;106177; said:
Don't expect 64 bit performance for mac until CS5.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-9909725-39.html

I've never heard of colours looking dull after being converted from NEF? I'll keep researching. :)
I'm running win7 btw.

If you open a .NEF in both View/captureNX and photoshop you'll see a difference this is, I think because Nikon hasn't disclosed the .NEF info for Adobe to use so some of the RAW settings aren't transfered

Chaitika

MFK Moderators
Staff member
Feb 1, 2007
Back in action!
Ahh, sorry when I saw OS in your title, I assumed.....Still consuming coffee, will be fully alert shortly. ;)

(edit to remove senseless link, lol . see above)

Last edited by a moderator:

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
All of the info is there, the in camera processing information is not. It just takes a bit more tweaking to get it the way it should be.

It's the same in PSP.

stan chung

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
It does look a little dull when 'RAW' in PS or Lightroom. Healthy does of 'clarity' and 'vibrance' is usually needed to perk some subjects up.

ViewNX does the colours and sharpness very well since it's tuned by the Nikon folks.
I alternate between the three depending on the subject. As such my filing is a mess.

Spectabilis

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Stratford-on-Avon U.K
Guess i'll have to use both programs together then.

Do the tools in photoshop eg "spot/blemish" brushes work just aswell with JPEGs as they do with .NEF/RAW though?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store