PHOTOSHOP How To: Creating Image Frames

hir0

Original poster
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2004
Azores, Portugal
These tutorials will teach you how to create a simple frames around your image. They were created using Adobe Photoshop CS2, but previous versions should be very similar.

Three frame types are shown here, but you can use the basic principles to do your own frame types. Below are instructions for Simple Border, Shadow Frame, and Beveled Edge Frame.

SIMPLE BORDER FRAME

1. open your image

2. click the image tab and select 'canvas size' (or hit ctrl+alt+c)

3. make sure 'relative' is checkmarked and choose how much you would like to increase your canvas, click ok

DROP SHADOW FRAME

1. open your image

2. create a duplicate layer by using one of the following ways:
-right click on your background layer in your layers window and select "duplicate layer"
-click the layer tab and select 'duplicate layer'
-drag the background layer into the 'create new layer icon on the layers window

3. select the entire image by clicking the select tab and select 'all' (or hit ctrl+a)

4. right click your background copy and select 'blending options'

5. click the white box next to drop shadow (a checkmark should appear inside) and click 'ok'

6. click the image tab and select 'canvas size' (or hit ctrl+alt+c)

7. make sure 'relative' is checkmarked and choose how much you would like to increase your canvas. also
be sure to select the color of your frame in the bottom of the 'canvas size' window. click ok

8. right click either layer in your layers window and select 'flatten image' or 'merge visible'

BEVEL EDGE FRAME

1. open your image

2. create a duplicate layer by using one of the following ways:
-right click on your background layer in your layers window and select "duplicate layer"
-click the layer tab and select 'duplicate layer'
-drag the background layer into the 'create new layer icon on the layers window

3. select the entire image by clicking the select tab and select 'all (or hit ctrl+a)

4. right click your background copy and select 'blending options'

5. click the white box next to 'Bevel and Emboss' (a checkmark should appear inside) and click 'ok'

6. deselect all by clicking the select tab and select 'deselect' (or hit ctrl+d)

7. click on either layer in your layers window and select 'flatten image' or 'merge visible'

Last edited by a moderator:

Schnauzer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Maine
You do a very good job with the tutorials hirO . Simple easy to follow directions . Thanks

carolkoi

Feeder Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Cape Coral, FL
I have no problem with borders and focus. What I have a problem with is getting high enough resolution. I have the Canon A60 and maybe it isn't a strong enough camera for my photography purposes. Anybody got any insight on this?

phishphorphun

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2005
Maryland, USA
I'm totally confused. Is this a new format? Or is this a invasion of our setup? What is this guy trying to do? Perhaps just confused with our forum???

paradise

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
just a misunderstanding of the setup. Carol, this is an article on borders :) If you want to discuss other issues, please do so in the forum. :)

WACichlid

Feeder Fish
Feb 5, 2006
Dupont, WA
Easy to follow and most of this even carries over to Photoshop Elements. Just a couple differences, but I achieved all of the same results. Nice work Hiro.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store