Picture Perfect

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
Whenever I try to take a quick picture of something in my tank, it always focuses on the gravel and sand. After a while I am able to sort-O-focus on the fish I want, but it just takes to long and only happens with luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am just using a Canon Power Shot A40. It has a feature to focus on small objects which helps but it still takes luck and a while to focus on what I want. :confused:

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
Do you have a (sport) mode on the camera. I use this mode when taking all my pictures. The speed of the flash and shutter rate are considerably faster. If I try to take a picture with any other mode by the time it takes the pic, the fish has more than likely moved.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
Eh, no sport mode for me. I think I can change the shutter speed, but it is the focus that bothers me. My monsters are very still, they move then sit so I am not worried about speed, but I cant take 20 mins to take a pic. The reason I am posting this was because I put in a bunch of shinner minnows in the tank as food today. I got some crappy video of the feasting because as soon as I put them in they were being eaten by the eel and sea robin, I am a bad multitasker. But a couple minutes by, the sea robin ate to capacity, but he still went after the fish. So he caught one in this mouth, but couldnt swallow it. So he just sat on the sand with a small minnow still alive, folded in half, with the head and tail sticking out of his mouth. I went for the camera, and after a few minutes of swearing :swear: , slamming the floor, and nearly throwing my camera out the window, he spit it out and all I had was picture of beautiful sand and rocks, with a big brown clod in the middle. :cry:

id10t

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Does your camera have a macro mode? What kind of zoom power? My Fuji has a 10x optical zoom, so I stand a few feet away and zoom in instead of trying to get it to focus up close. Or, put it on macro mode. Also, if you can take video with it, try taking video clips and then grabbing out a few frames.

oscar1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2005
sport mode or action mode faster shutter speed and be fast on the trigger

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store