Pictures of the past- Cephalosilurus

Killduv

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Hello I found some old photos. I will have videos as well. The Photo is myself and one of the Management of the Valencia Aquarium in Venezuela around 2008. Also some of the Cephalosilurus I had 25 some odd years ago. Sorry for the scratches and dirty glass.
I will hopefully find the videos that I took at the Aquarium.

ven1.jpg

1.1.jpg

1.2.jpg

1.3.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you so much Gerry! Is this the alleged Cephalosilurus nigricaudus? If so, what traits on this fish distinguish it from the apurensis or is the ID assured by the collection point where apurensis is known to not coexist with nigricaudus?

Reactions: Killduv

Killduv

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Thank you so much Gerry! Is this the alleged Cephalosilurus nigricaudus? If so, what traits on this fish distinguish it from the apurensis or is the ID assured by the collection point where apurensis is known to not coexist with nigricaudus?
Your Welcome Viktor. I think it maybe an Apurensis. I have a few photos from the years. These photos are so old . Good question about traits as these fish are similar. I think differences is coloration as Nigricaudus are darker and the muzzle is less curved in the top and bottom jaw. Let me look for more videos and photos. I do remember all my catfish were in 100 gallon tanks. The Apurensis were much larger and more built.
I do remember that my previous two Apurensis were ok with larger tankmates. The other Nigricaudus were alone as they were too brutal.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store