Pictus catfish lifespan?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I just read of a 21 year old 4-line pictus catfish, which doesn't exactly look like it's deteriorating of old age: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-a-four-lined-pim-pictus.740982/#post-8350001
This is quite a bit longer than the often cited 5-10 year lifespan of the spotted pictus catfish. Which makes me wonder if it's possible for spotted pictus to live that long too?
Could it be a similar situation to, say, clown loaches (lifespan 20-50 years, but often cited as only up to 10), where they have the potential to live to 21+ but most just don't care for them well enough to find out?

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
We have a P. pictus that was bought in 2000.
It has permanently lost a part of its whiskers, has a crooked spine and hides the whole day but still falls into feeding frenzy once or twice a week.
Seeing this fish over the years make me think that they will not grow much older than 12 or maybe 15 years in the wild before they either starve or get eaten.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Without predation, I’m sure most aquarium kept fish can live longer than reported cases. From 1990, I’ve heard/read ages for cory cats C. aneus 3-4 yrs, 7-8 yrs, 10-12 yrs, to 18-20+ years. This is from local LFS and other local
Fishkeepers, newsgroups like alt.aquaria, early internet web forums in early 2000 to current internet forum types.
From my own experience 18+ yrs was more correct (found this out in 2010)

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
We have 2 P. pictus bought around 2004 and both are doing great, look normal, very active and eating well. One has part of a whisker missing due to getting entangled in a net when I transferred it to the 220G tank a number of years ago.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Input from all much appreciated (and will be waiting on that from thebiggerthebetter+Fishman Dave). In addition to the amount of food and predators, I wonder if the tank size has anything to do with it?
Either way, I'll be able to track the age of my pictus catfish as I track that of my similarly long lived clown loaches. And a bonus: should my pictus live long enough to avoid necessitating replacing them when the clown loaches are grown, I won't have to worry about full grown clown loaches attempting to eat store-size pictus and then dying from it.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
My p.Pictus were bought as a group of five back around 2008 and three of them are still going strong today. They are now in a tank they appear to love with high flow and many variable bottom dwellers.
21 years I would think is beyond the norm but in captivity I would certainly expect the longevity of some species to be much more than in the wild. The pim group would fall into that category in my mind.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I just read of a 21 year old 4-line pictus catfish, which doesn't exactly look like it's deteriorating of old age: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-a-four-lined-pim-pictus.740982/#post-8350001
This is quite a bit longer than the often cited 5-10 year lifespan of the spotted pictus catfish. Which makes me wonder if it's possible for spotted pictus to live that long too?
Could it be a similar situation to, say, clown loaches (lifespan 20-50 years, but often cited as only up to 10), where they have the potential to live to 21+ but most just don't care for them well enough to find out?
That's my old man Morris ?

I have a group of pictus cats that 9 years old and doing great

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
That's my old man Morris ?

I have a group of pictus cats that 9 years old and doing great
Nice. If Gray Fullbuster and his future school of clones (provided they don't end up fighting of course!) match or outlive Morris, Morris will probably not be alive to hear of it ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store