Pictus Catfish won't come out to eat?

naeviah

Feeder Fish
Feb 15, 2017
Hi there. I just set up my 125 gallon tank about 3-4 weeks ago and just added a few gouramis and a pictus about two days ago. The catfish won't come out to eat when I feed them. I was wondering should I be feeding him the sinking pellets at night rather than in the morning? Any help would be appreciated :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Probably still getting used to the tank.

Would try some bloodworms or a sinking crumble. Maybe get a little more interest from it.

Morning feeding would be preferred as it'll get used to coming out and being active when the lights are on.

naeviah

Feeder Fish
Feb 15, 2017
Probably still getting used to the tank.

Would try some bloodworms or a sinking crumble. Maybe get a little more interest from it.

Morning feeding would be preferred as it'll get used to coming out and being active when the lights are on.
That's what I figured I just don't want the poor thing to starve to death lol Fed some frozen blood worms yesterday and don't think he ate any. He sits behind the rocks I have in there and doesn't move around much.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think of four things:

[1] It is still adjusting and it may take several days, even a week+. (#3 and #4 are largely irrelevant then).

[2] Lone pictus will almost invariably be very shy and a hider. They do well in groups of say 6+, 12 is better. I have 27 in a 240 gal and they are a hoot. Loners would come out at night, so whatever's left over, they will pick up. If nothing's left over, it may make sense at least initially to leave some food for it at night and start getting it more used to light later after it has established itself in the tank and you are sure it is eating well. Dim light or no tank light, just a not too bright room light, should help too.

[3] Your water parameters matter - ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. What are they and how do you measure them?

[4] Are there any other possible sources of stress? Is the aeration adequate? No bullying? Are pH, temp, hadrness within range and stable?

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I'd say if you just got it 2-3 days ago. It's still adjusting to your tank. Give it some time, it'll come around. Just make sure to take any uneaten food out so it doesn't spoil your water.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store