Pike Cichlid compatibility

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Would any of these pikes work with my stock?

Pikes:
Lenticulata Pike (Jacunda Pike Cichlid)
Tapajos Red Pike
Zebra Pike Cichlid
orange xignu (Orange Pike Cichlid)
Strigata Pike Cichlid

Stock I am considering when I start fresh in my 300 g:
1x clown knife
7x large clown loaches (7"-10" each)
1x datnoid
6x large red-tail blue botia loaches
1x leopard ctenopoma
3x severums
1x fat sleeper goby
1x jaguar catfish OR 1x striped raphael catfish
5x bala sharks
2x endlicheri bichir
2x ornate bichir

I am going to keep the loaches on my list. When I eventually get rid of the rest of the fish in my tank, this is the stocking I was looking at putting in my tank, starting my fish out small. I was thinking of adding one of the pike species listed. Would any of them work with my fish, or would the pike be too aggressive? I never use feeders in my tank.

Also, one more thing, whenever I put cichlids in my tanks, I always make sure they are all the same gender to avoid breeding pairs even across species to avoid extreme aggression. I've never kept pikes before, though. Would a severum and a pike cross breed if they are the opposite gender?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Probably zebra, red atabapo and sp Venezuela would work. That leopard ctenopoma may get picked on. Some of the other pikes haven’t been available in the hobby in a while, rare. But nice pikes none the less.

Reactions: tlindsey

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Probably zebra, red atabapo and sp Venezuela would work. That leopard ctenopoma may get picked on. Some of the other pikes haven’t been available in the hobby in a while, rare. But nice pikes none the less.
Which one on my list is the sp Venezuela? Sorry, new to reading up on pikes. I know that one species can have various names, so I don't know which one is the Venezuela on my list.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Which one on my list is the sp Venezuela? Sorry, new to reading up on pikes. I know that one species can have various names, so I don't know which one is the Venezuela on my list.
Lol...sorry just added it to ur list. Currently available in most lfs.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Strigata are from eastern Brazil and no longer exported. Many websites and vendors just keep showing strigata when it's really Venezuela, but the true strigata have an ocellated spot near the gill plate. Orange pikes are no longer exported as well.

female strigata

strigata-pike.571844

strigata pair in link below

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/strigata-pike.606484/#post-7125282

from your list, the best ones to commune would be zebra pike and tapajos, followed by 50/50 chance with Venezuela

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Thanks for all the information everyone. Its a shame that the true strigata and orange pikes are no longer exported. They are stunningly beautiful! At least the red tapajos is still available. That one is my favorite, I think.

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store