Pike cichlid only wants to eat freeze dried shrimp

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
I got a pike cichlid (I think sp. belly crawler) about two weeks ago, and all it wants to eat is freeze dried shrimp. I've tried offering pellets (hikari carnivore, NLS 3mm sinking pellets, and omega one shrimp pellets), but it'll just mouth and spit it out. I'll try for 2-3 days before cracking and feeding the freeze dried shrimp. At this point, I feel like I have two options:

1. Continue offering only pellet food until it accepts it. I know they can be stubborn. I'm currently on day 5 of starving it now.. I've read of people starving their pike for 2-4 weeks before they accepted pellets, but I'm not sure of fish's size when they did it. Mine is only 2" and I don't know the "max" I could/should starve it since it doesn't have a lot of body mass and fat to start with..

2. Continue feeding it freeze dried shrimp. Not as nutritional as a pellet diet, but would it be sustainable in the long run? I've read that it's best/easiest to get them on pellet when they're still young, so feeding only shrimp now may be more detrimental in the future. I don't mind feeding shrimp, just don't know if it's sustainable health wise.

Would really like some advice from more experienced pike cichlid owners! This is my first pike and so I'm a bit nervous. It's already super outgoing, explores a lot, and begs at the top for food. Just will only eat freeze dried shrimp.. Thanks.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Maybe try some different pellets, if he is going for them and spitting out?
Freeze dried shrimp aren't bad, but aren't a whole diet really. I fed my pikes a ton of freeze dried shrimp though they do love it. I'd try starving for a week, if that doesn't work, you could try soaking the krill in some liquid vitamins for fish. I think vita-chem is the brand that makes them, might be others too.

Reactions: Rhykiru and mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Freeze dried shrimp aren't bad, but aren't a whole diet really. I fed my pikes a ton of freeze dried shrimp though they do love it. I'd try starving for a week, if that doesn't work, you could try soaking the krill in some liquid vitamins for fish. I think vita-chem is the brand that makes them, might be others too.
I agree.

Don’t feed them for about 5-6 days and then throw the pellets in. Pikes train quick. They aren’t stubborn like pbass.

Reactions: Rhykiru

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I have an wild Atabapo pike that does the same. But it's in with my strigatta pikes and it sees the strigatta pike eat pellets and everything else so it goes for them if it's really hungry.

Reactions: Rhykiru and mrrobxc

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
I just tried the other two pellets types I have which are NLS betta pellets and 0.5mm Thera-A and it showed no interest. With my other pellets, it'll usually attack and mouth the pellets but then release it.

Okay will do. If all else fails, I'll stick with the FD shrimp and get some vita-chem to supplement.

I agree.

Don’t feed them for about 5-6 days and then throw the pellets in. Pikes train quick. They aren’t stubborn like pbass.
I'm on day six now! Just worried about starving it so long because it's so little.

I have an wild Atabapo pike that does the same. But it's in with my strigatta pikes and it sees the strigatta pike eat pellets and everything else so it goes for them if it's really hungry.
Maybe that's part of the problem.. it's in a quarantine tank right now so it has no tankmates to "show" it how to eat pellets.

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store