Pike for my 100 gallon

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
will a pike cichlid like a Xingu 111 work in a 100 gallon tank or will i need a much larger tank for these fish? Currently have 2 Argentea's in the tank that are around 8 and 5 inches. Is this tank large enough for the Pike?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Brotha...ur not that far away from me! LOL! Nice!! Good to see an enthusiast so close! :D As for pikes, ur pushin ur luck in a 100gal....especially with Lugubris pikes, most of them easily get over 10"....and can be rather aggressive. Top that off with Argenteas which can be anal, it can get very nasty very quick. Also, the argenteas are pretty large already, its gonna be pricey to get a pike big enough to stand them down. Xingu sp. of Lugubris pikes are pretty nasty...lol...for the most part when it comes to pikes. If you want a more laid back pike you could try Crenicichla acurotosis(sp) hate trying to spell that one...never seem to get it right. If you can upgrade to a 125 or larger ur chances will be greatly increased.

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
thanks man. Where are you? i'm in Denver. i'll probably add one to my 125 gallon tank. not sure which one i'm getting yet but the Xingu 111 is at the top of my list. i like the one you were talking about and i have trouble spelling that one too lol.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Dorado? LOL!! No...lol...thats a type of fish....I'm actually in Shelton, Nebraska...about 4 to 5 hrs away or so. Not toooo bad though. I may be comin up to Loveland next weekend to go campin wit one of my friends...hehe.

I keep SA cichlids....trying to keep it just purely that. Right now I have three CA cichlids, and I already have a home for one of them hopefully. I'm a sucker for the rare and exotic....as well as the beautiful. Right now I have Geophagus, Sataneoperca, Hoplarchus psittacus, Hypselecara temporalis, Amphilophus festae, Crenicichla sveni, Crenicichla marmorata/strigata (no idea which one it is...very frustrating..lol), Festivum, and now some Cichla orinocensis. My collection always has room for growth though...hehe...especially if its more pike cichlids or cichla! WOOT! Urself?

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
i have Central and South American. H. pearsei, H. Bocourti, V. Argentea, V. Breidohri, Rotkeil Severum, Urau Fernandez, V. Regani, T. Aureus, A. Myrnae, A. Panamensis, A. Nanoletous, Geo. Altimira, Geo Columbia, A. Heckeli, and lots of others. I only have 1 pike and thats a C. Johanna in with my south americans.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
So far as we know the largest IMPORTED and available pike species is Crenicichla sp. 'venezuela' which can reach 24" easily. I don't know if anyone has one that large in captivity but they have been caught that large in the wild...HUGE pikes!

Dang DW...lol..nice collection you got there! Ur like my CA counterpart! LOL! Shnazzy list!!

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
sn? what'cha mean? If you mean snake heads...then in a few ways they are similar. Their personalities are somewhat similar but still very different. Body shape is pretty similar, as is most of the fins, although the anal fin on Crenicichla isn't as long as SHs. Pikes DO have pseudocanines...which helps them catch and hold onto the fish that they eat. It takes the larger species to see these teeth, but they are present.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store