Pike ID

Thomas_Hung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2004
Moscow, Idaho
I just picked this up the other day... its about 3" or so.

Sorry the pix arent the best.

Thomas_Hung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2004
Moscow, Idaho

Thomas_Hung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2004
Moscow, Idaho
Peanut_Power said:
I can't even see the pike really...lol....oy! Stupid glare on the computer screen...sigh...i'll have to wait for tonight...no glare...:p
I just made them brighter in photoshop, hope they are easier to see now!

PS. How do you edit posts on this forum?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
There we go!! YAY!! Yeah, i would have to say that that does look a lot like Crenicichla sp. venezuela. And, since they are quite possibly the most common pike being imported lately, chances are very high that thats what it is. GREAT fish, get rather large i hope you know....being quite possibly the largest of the pike cichlids. Not exactly the most colorful of the pikes when full grown, but still pimpin and impressive! Thing with pikes is that the juv. of the Lugubris family do look very similar so it can be a real pain in the toosh distinguishin them! 80% sure thats sp. venezuela though!

slavezer0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
Manila, Philippines
www.ahbcoe.tk
nice pike! :)

Thomas_Hung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2004
Moscow, Idaho
I have had an orange pike previously.... can I expect this pike's behavior to be similar?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
indeed that you can...although Crenicichla sp. xingu I(orange pike) can tend to be a bit more aggressive and the like. However...this species...Cren. sp 'venezuela' gets much larger....MUCH larger...lol...and with size comes boldness and 'tude! Generally expect it to be a greedy feeder that will be curious about everything in the tank. Be carefull with tankmates, if it shows aggression repeatedly, remove the tank mate before it is killed...or eaten...lol. BIG MOUTHS!

Thomas_Hung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2004
Moscow, Idaho
Yea I'm debating on where to grow it out right now....as we speak it is in with my smallest plecos....which I would rather not lose, so I'm going to have to do some rearanging... How wide of a tank am I going to eventually need to keep this monster? It did not eat for a day or so when I first got it, but it is taking down the hikari carnivore pellets like there is no tomorrow right now, and kind of tools around with the shrimp pellets I offer him... what else would be a good staple diet for this guy besides those pellets, crickets, and worms and such?

prm

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
the lfs
yea i bought one today love it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store