Pink tail chalceus

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That seems like a recipe for death.
I have a chalceus in a 180 com tank. It is probably the most peaceful fish in there. It keeps itself to itself. The only time it bursts into any frantic action is at feeding time, and even then it's not an aggressive feeder.

I have never kept discus but from what I have seen they are about the most placid fish you can keep. Please correct me if they're actually monsters.

I'd be interested to know why you think this combination would be a "recipe for death".

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Mine has maxed out at about 11", and yes they are very very fast and yes they keep themselves to the top 6" of water, most of the time. Mine is also with algae eaters, dennison barbs and clown loach, smallish ones. It has never showed any signs of aggression to these smaller fish.

Like I said, I have never kept discus but i'm betting that these two unlikely bed partners will be fine together. I'd be interested in anyone else's experience.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
They are insectivores for sure but mine is not aggressive either. I would think one would be fine with discus but YMMV

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Skittish fish, but peaceful. Like others said, they keep to themselves and probably wouldnt bother the discus intentionally.

I keep mine at 77 F. I think if you were to keep it at at +80 like discus enjoy the chalceus would be even more skittish.

Could work fine though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store