Pipefish (Will update later)

BillyMaysChickenWings

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2020
Hello, a few months ago I did an experiment with a local pipefish species known as the Gulf Pipefish that according to some online sources, such as FishBase, floridamuseum.com, Wikipedia, and more inhabits freshwater streams, lakes, and rivers. I attempted to acclimate it from brackish to a freshwater environment-- it unfortunately failed. However, with the knowledge I have gained since then, a second attempt would likely be more successful. So, it will likely be MANY months in the making, considering seasonal availability and the delicacy of the process, however I may try again eventually and when I do, I'll share pictures.

Reactions: Deadeye

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Not to knock your sources Florida Museum is pretty good, but what lake are they found in? I have never seen these in full freshwater. If they are out there I would love to go see them. They may be found in intertidal areas at times, but I am very skeptical of freshwater populations. Lake George in the upper St Johns does get marine species like the Florida freshwater stingray, blue crabs, mullet, and striped bass, but it also isn't 100% freshwater. Some of the spring fed locations may have more minerals in them than you realize which may not be full fresh as you are thinking.

As I dig through http://specifyportal.flmnh.ufl.edu/fishes/?filter=cn1:gulf pipefish the locations I would target are in Columbia county. Even these are springfed locations that often have other marine fish in them. I am not sure they are as fresh as you think, but I don't don't know for sure. What is the hardness you are working with?

I think this is a cool project and wish you the best. If you come up with a population of full fresh native pipefish it could be a huge contribution to the hobby. You may be better off collecting them from the freshwater locations. Keep us posted.

BillyMaysChickenWings

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2020
There are some details I am unsure of however I do have plenty of time to think this through-- as I haven't found these little guys in months. I may even attempt to spawn a batch (though this is obviously a VERY tricky maneuver.) Another issue is that I live a few states up from Florida and am regularly busy. I am not done researching this and I will post pictures when I try again. That aside, thank you for the advice. I'm sure it will be helpful.

Btw I found this video of a specimen that appears to be in a freshwater aquarium. I don't really know the circumstances here make of it what you will:

Reactions: tlindsey

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
1603934911749.pngI am not sure that is a Gulf pipefish Sygnathus scoveli in the video. They should have bands like these. There are a few other freshwater pipefish from West Africa that end up in the hobby. It might be one of those, but I am not sure.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
There are some details I am unsure of however I do have plenty of time to think this through-- as I haven't found these little guys in months. I may even attempt to spawn a batch (though this is obviously a VERY tricky maneuver.) Another issue is that I live a few states up from Florida and am regularly busy. I am not done researching this and I will post pictures when I try again. That aside, thank you for the advice. I'm sure it will be helpful.

Btw I found this video of a specimen that appears to be in a freshwater aquarium. I don't really know the circumstances here make of it what you will:
That is a freshwater specie for sure in the video. Had them many yrs ago I fed them brine shrimp and feeder guppies. They didn't survive long due to me being inexperienced in fishkeeping. Actually did better with Seahorses. I suggest feeding them live and slowly wean them on frozen Mysis Shrimp did this with Seahorses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store