Piranha keeping tips

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
‘Lo everyone,
I hope to get some Piranhas fer my tank, 5 of em (if they’d be available in the LFS by then). I did some research on them, but just fer more info and if any of you guys have any other tips, could you fill me in? Like best plants (not very expensive ones though) and diet and ease of keeping.

I hope to;
- Do weekly 25% water changes enough fer them
- Red sand with bluish white aquairum light
- Silver dollar tank mates
- Keep them in a small tank but upgrade as soon as they grow up

Anything wrong those points as well^?

And, I’m guessing they’d be around 4-5 inches in length each or even 3, so would it be ok to keep Tetra’s with them, will they eat the Tetra’s as they’re still small sized?

Also, most importantly, their common diseases and how to treat and also if certain medications should be kept prior fer potential diseases (apart from aquarium salt).
Thank you :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Caveden

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
I hope to keep all of them with 2 silver dollars of near/exact size, but the tank won't be very large, will there be a problem even if I feed them daily?

Reactions: Caveden

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Forget the silver dollars. They will only last until the piranhas are big enough to bite them in half, and piranhas grow fast.
Tetras is hit or miss by the individual. Mine didn’t accept them.
Piranhas are pretty disease hardy and heal very fast. Most important to look out for is ich and infections on wounds caused by each other.
They need dim light and lots of cover to be comfortable.
Don’t waste too much time on plants, mine would eat plastic ones. Val, anubias, and Java ferns are worth a shot though.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Forget the silver dollars. They will only last until the piranhas are big enough to bite them in half, and piranhas grow fast.
Tetras is hit or miss by the individual. Mine didn’t accept them.
Piranhas are pretty disease hardy and heal very fast. Most important to look out for is ich and infections on wounds caused by each other.
They need dim light and lots of cover to be comfortable.
Don’t waste too much time on plants, mine would eat plastic ones. Val, anubias, and Java ferns are worth a shot though.
^
This

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
Alright thanks very much everyone fer the info.

Did you mention the tank dimensions?
Ah yesh, at first, if they’re really small like 2-3 inches I’d keep them in a 15 gallon. Then when they grow, to a 70 gallon.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I wouldn’t keep them in the 15 for long. Once they feel cramped they will start removing the weak ones.
A 70 may be tight for 5 piranhas, but it is better to get more than necessary so that after they figure things out they will still be enough to form a school (expect losses).

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
I wouldn’t keep them in the 15 for long. Once they feel cramped they will start removing the weak ones.
A 70 may be tight for 5 piranhas, but it is better to get more than necessary so that after they figure things out they will still be enough to form a school (expect losses).
Ah. By weak ones you mean the weaker piranhas in the group right.
Hm.. better to add straight to the 70 then eh
Also,I have seen some tanks with just a single piranha , is that okay or is it a must fer a shoal?

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store