piranha tank sizes

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
What are the min. tank sizes for the following species of piranha?: Altuvie piranha
Elong. piranha
Gibbus piranha

KingD

Feeder Fish
Feb 4, 2012
ontario
to keep any piranah in a group of 4 or more u will need at least a 4 foot tank (55g,75g,90g). if you want to keep one i would say u would be fine with a 3 foot tank.

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
I want to get one big tank and build fiberglass dividers to separate them, what size should the tank be? I was looking at a 135 gallon(72''x18''x25'' tall).

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I've never kept 2 of those species can't help ya there - Elongatus tho may have been the worst species of P I've ever had, might as well have been a newborn Rhom it hid so much. It would only feed in solitude w/ no lites and rammed itself into the glass at a whisper. Although I made a good penny raising and selling it, IMO,the fish isn't worth the 6' of tank length it needs for constant openwater swimming and running.

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
Gibbus is really bold, along with rhoms and rrs piranhas.

MFNRyan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2012
P.A.
I want to get one big tank and build fiberglass dividers to separate them, what size should the tank be? I was looking at a 135 gallon(72''x18''x25'' tall).
I'm glad you said that! You can't keep these fish together in one tank like someone mentioned. Here is the deal with the fish your picking. All of which I have kept. the gibbus would be fine sectioned off in a 2ft piece although you won't get much personality out of him cause he would like to have more room to swim. Altuvie same thing.. the elong.. they need a longer tank.. they like to dart around your tank, so a short tank will cause the fish to run into the tank which hurts.. so he will lose his character and sit still most the time. so do you have enough gallons for these fish with what you mentioned.. yes.. do you have enough tank space.. probably not.. best thing to do would be get the gibbus and Altuvie a 40b and get the elong a 55g. As the fish age (probably 3 years or so) move the elong and gibbus to bigger set ups. Altuvie will probably be fine.

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
Here's my updated plan- get a 4' 55 gallon and a 4' 65 gallon. Divide the 55 gallon in half, 24" on on side and 24" on the other. On one side put an altuvie piranha, and on the other side keep other fish. On the 65 gallon, divide it so there is 30" on one side and 18" on the other. Put the elong. on the 30" side and put an eigenmanni on the other.

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
Also I will already have the elongatus when I get the 65 and divide it for him. I will be getting the elong. tommorrow at 4-5" and put it in a grow out tank for now.

MFNRyan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2012
P.A.
Well its your fish man. When you pack them in smaller spaces your most of the time lose character, growth and the awee of the fish. An elong in 30" of tank space. he will dart aroung (hence the elongated torpedo like shape) and he's going to knock into the tank. Either that or he will just sit there doing nothing lol. The more space an elong has usually promotes more activity for them. I personally prefer not to split tanks and keep two fish in one. To many instances of the fish coming over and one or both ended up dead. Also knocking into the divider to get at the other fish lol. post some pics. Your in NJ so you have the best shot at fish with 3 of the biggest importers in your backyard! Your lucky man

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store