cazber

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
Denmark
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hey, I have a solo Red Belly Piranha about 2 years old with HITH, one cloudy eye and alittle finrot as the topic says. I dont know how it all came about but in a week or two all of this happend. Everything has been going normal, no new introductions to the tank. He lives with a brustlenose pleco that was in the tank even before him, about a year ago i added cherry shrimp and they have bred and established in a 260L/68G. I have alot of plants but no additions for 4 months. The water parameters are the same and temp has been about 23/73. food has been the same bag of frosen shrimp for about two months or so, but mostly his pellets. (I have stopped with plant ferts a couple of months ago, not that i think that is important.) So i cant seem to find a cause of it but what I would like to ask is, what medicin should I use? I am from Denmark so it should be something that I am able to get in Europe.

- Casper

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Try feeding metronidazole and increase ur water changes to 50% weekly. Can stuff the metro in cut up fish. Remove any carbon. Soak foods in vitamins when feeding. What are u feeding?

cazber

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
Denmark
I feed JBL Novo Stick XL
Pr. 100 G
Vitamin A : 25.000
Vitamin D2: 2.000
Vitamin E : 300 mg
Vitamin C : 200 mg

Protein 44%
Fat content 8%
Raw Fibre 1,5 %
Crude ash 10 %.

and frozen shrimp with the shell removed

metronidazole is an antibiotic wouldnt that kill my good bacteria?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I feed JBL Novo Stick XL
Pr. 100 G

Protein 44%
Fat content 8%
Raw Fibre 1,5 %
Crude ash 10 %.

Antibiotics are different from antibacterials. Antibiotics just help to bolster the immune system and their responses inside the body. Btw what are the tank parameters? Seems odd that a fish would just develop 3 different diseases within such a short period of time. My thoughts are that there is some underlining problem in the tank that even you may not be aware of.

cazber

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
Denmark
NO3 0-10
NO2 0-1
GH dosnt seem to register, but the water is kinda hard where i live.
KH 3
PH 7.6
Cl2 0

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I feed JBL Novo Stick XL
Pr. 100 G

Protein 44%
Fat content 8%
Raw Fibre 1,5 %
Crude ash 10 %.

It shouldn’t effect the beneficial bacteria.

Reactions: dr exum

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Aren't pirahna social and required to live in groups? (Sorry I don't know much about them, but I thought that was true?)

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Aren't pirahna social and required to live in groups? (Sorry I don't know much about them, but I thought that was true?)
Yes and no. A red belly in the wild will school but in captivity it really doesn't need the protection of a group. Also once a red belly has gotten used to being on its own it will kill any potential tank mates including their own species. Allot of times lfs' will recommend getting atleast 6 at the start because more often then not when they get put into a new tank they will start infighting for dominance of the group which often leads to a death or 2. Usually the smallest or weakest members are culled from the group.

Like they saying goes, "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store