Piscine Energetics PE Pellets sale. Worth trying?

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Has anyone tried these?

Ive seen posts raving about their frozen mysis. I haven't seen any reviews of their pellets.

From reading a bunch of the other threads about foods, here are my thoughts. This stuff is expensive. The only reason I'm tempted to try it is that Dr fosters is having a clearance sale on the 3mm saltwater food. I've looked at their ingredients list and the fresh and saltwater foods have the exact ingredients list.

Normal price is $26 for 8oz but this particular package is on sale for $13.19:
https://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=35793

I'm a sucker for buying sale foods or even foods I've never tried if I ingredients look good.

That link didn't have ingredients but the 2mm saltwater did on that site and checking other sites, the freshwater is the same list as is this 3mm I list it below.

They brag about their mysis being processed fresh; I'm not sure how that affects the ingredients listings (if it has any effect).

I might be wrong about some of the following but this is my comments based on reading RD's posts. Please feel free to educate me if I'm wrong about any of this.

Wheat flour and brewer's dried yeast isn't good but one or both is probably used as a binding agent for the pellet.

Whey, I don't like to see as it's a milk protein and fish don't eat milk in nature so it's probably included to increase the protein content.

Ingredients: Mysis diluviana, Deboned Whitefish Meal, Wheat Flour, Antarctic Krill Meal, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Whey, Sodium Alginate, Molasses, Fish Oil, Astaxanthin, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, L-Ascorbic Acid 2-Monophosphate (Vitamin C), Calcium Chloride, HexMetPhos, Vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin B12, Riboflavin, p-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin, Choline Thiamine, Pyridoxine, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, BHT, and Inositol), and Minerals (Manganese, Zinc, Iron, Copper, Cobalt, Iodine, and Selenium).

Crude Protein42.0% minCrude Fat8.0% minCrude Fiber2.0% maxAsh6.0% maxMoisture10.0% maxPhosphorous0.75% MaxOmega-32.0% MinOmega-61.0% MinVitamin A50,000 IU/kgVitamin D2,000 IU/kgVitamin E200 IU/kg

I'm just tempted to try to give something different for my clown Loaches.

My ultimate plan is to feed moatly NLS pellets and algaemax to my tank but I'm a sucker for sprinkling in other stuff just to try it and more to see if fish like it .as I said, I've read RD's posts so I know it's often unnecessary and possibly detrimental to my wallet but I currently feed frozen foods and repashy as fish serm to enjoy it in addition to my NLS.

Again, curious if anyone has used this product.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I'm stuck at home with a cold so I looked up some other shrimp pellets including the one I bought before I started researching foods.

These PE pellets look way better than these other shrimp pellets. I'm surprised by Cobalt. I thought my Wardley was junk (I wouldn't buy it again) but I would have expected Cobalt to be better (as Wardley seems to get the most hate and it's ingredients are usually poor) but it seems like the worst of these three.

Cobalt doesn't even have shrimp in it . It has a clown Loach on the package. Before i knew better, I would've probably bought this if I saw it at the store or if it popped up on Amazon for me.

I have Wardley shrimp pellets formula:

My container:
IMG_20180930_025345.jpg

Omega one shrimp pellets:
http://www.omegasea.net/products/nutrition/shrimp-pellets-sinking
Ingredients:
Salmon, Whole Herring, Whole Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ, Pea Protein, Wheat Gluten, Kelp, Astaxanthin, Canthanxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Ethoxyquin (Preservative), BHT (Preservative), BHA (Preservative), Natural and Artificial Colors, Ascorbyl Monophosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Inositol, Folic Acid, Biotin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Min. Crude Protein….38%
Min. Crude Fat………..10%
Max. Crude Fiber…….2%
Max. Moisture………. 8.5%
Max. Ash………………..8 %

Cobalt:
https://www.cobaltaquatics.com/products/shrimp-pellets?variant=33273385418

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
CRUDE PROTEIN- MIN 35%
CRUDE FAT- MIN 7.0%
CRUDE FIBER- MAX 4.0%
MOISTURE- MAX 8.0%
PHOSPHORUS- MIN 1.2%

INGREDIENTS
WHEAT, FISH MEAL, DEHULLED SOYBEAN MEAL, WHEAT MIDDLINGS, CORN DISTILLERS DRIED GRAINS WITH SOLUBLES, HYDROLYZED POULTRY FEATHERS, POULTRY BY-PRODUCT MEAL, LIMESTONE, SOY LECITHIN, FISH OIL, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PROPIONATE (PRESERVATIVE), MANGANESE PROTEINATE, ZINC PROTEINATE, COPPER PROTEINATE, CALCIUM IODATE, IRON PROTEINATE, COBALT PROTEINATE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SODIUM SELENITE, DL-METHIONINE, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT), VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, RIBOFLAVIN, NIACIN, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, MENADIONE SODIUM BISULFITE COMPLEX, FOLIC ACID, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, BIOTIN, L-ASCORBYL-2- POLYPHOSPHATE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN C), ZINC OXIDE

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I finally opened this package. Just a few minutes ago.

I was gonna save it but I noticed there was no expiration date, but there was a processing date of 11/2016. Based on what I've read, I should probably use this sooner rather than later. Plus, I almost used up all this Sinkinf Carnivore that I wanted to get rid of (and won't buy again) so I figured I'd move on to this food.

Anyway, here are my observations:

1) it says 3mm but it's closer in size to 2mm NLS than it is to 3mm NLS. Well, certain rainbowfish can put it in their mouths whereas they can't fit the 3mm NLS Thera-a, but it might just be because the NLS is rounder.

2) Clown loaches seemed to like it. A few floated by my alpha loaches cave and she grabbed it immediately. The smaller loaches aren't as eager but I see them eating it off the substrate.

3) panda garra immediately went to suck on it, which I didn't expect.

4) my millenniums and Doritys rainbowfish in the main tank sucked it in and then spit it out.

5) Deep Water Creek m. Splendida in QT tank liked it. It was a little too big for them but I saw two fish inhale and spit out several times before swallowing. Unlike my main tank rainbowfish, they seemed to like it. Rummynose tetra are also trying to break off pieces.

I won't buy this again, especially since the cheapest I've seen it is for $20 for the 8oz package I have but I'm fine with purchase on clearance for $13.

You'd get better nutrition from an NLS container of the same size for my clearance price. $20-25 normal price is really expensive though!

One last bit, I suppose it is a sustainable sourced food as the main Mysis ingredient is an invasive species but the frozen ones are probably better.
(My 2lbs Cobalt Frozen CA Mysis was an even better deal for $9). It has deboned white fish as the second ingredient though.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Clown loaches are basically bottom feeders in the wild, and I have never found them to be overly picky when it comes to food. I feed mine nothing but pellets, and they seem to bulk up pretty quickly, and I have never had any health issues (ich or otherwise) over the years. I have experimented a LOT over the years with various brand names, and various formulas, and while my loaches eat mostly NLS as a staple (Large Fish + AlgaeMax) they respond very positively to Omega Shrimp pellets. More so than any other "shrimp" based food that I have tried over the years.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Clown loaches are basically bottom feeders in the wild, and I have never found them to be overly picky when it comes to food. I feed mine nothing but pellets, and they seem to bulk up pretty quickly, and I have never had any health issues (ich or otherwise) over the years. I have experimented a LOT over the years with various brand names, and various formulas, and while my loaches eat mostly NLS as a staple (Large Fish + AlgaeMax) they respond very positively to Omega Shrimp pellets. More so than any other "shrimp" based food that I have tried over the years.
For some reason, my smaller, newer loaches don't like the Algaemax. My original two loaches love it and my rescue one in quarantine go right for it.

I see the smaller loaches pass their barbells right over the Algaemax wafers and not eat it.

In the QT tank, they used to grab NLS pellets as they sank down but they don't feed like that in the display. I see them digging around so I imagine they eventually find the 1 and 2mm NLS there and eat it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Give them time, eventually they'll come around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store