Plan for a New 180 Gallon Tank

ampped

Feeder Fish
Aug 10, 2017
I'm working on getting a 180 gallon tank (72" x 24" x 25") setup and am trying to decide how to stock it. For reference, I'm planning on using an old 55 gallon tank for a sump, so there will be a little more than 180 total gallons of water. I definitely want to do an Oscar in the tank, so now I'm just debating tankmates. In searching the web, I discovered Fire Eels and would love to include one of them, they look like they would go great with an O. I also have a Common Pleco (about 12" long) in my 75 gallon tank that I intend on moving to the 180.

Here are the fish that I'm looking at as a possibility:
Tiger Oscar
Fire Eel
Jack Dempsey
Banded Leporinus
Blue Acara or Green Terror
Common Pleco

I am thinking one of each of those and I would like to get all of them young, so they can grow together. What are your guys' thoughts on this, could it work?

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
It will work just keep an eye on the leporinus they can be nasty fin nippers sometimes the tank is perfect for the oscar and other fish a pleco might become destructive and large 2ft but there are nicer plecos out there e.g sunshine plecos, blue phantom plecos, green phantom plecos, cactus plecos etc the plecos will need wood 2 help digest there foods though
I'm working on getting a 180 gallon tank (72" x 24" x 25") setup and am trying to decide how to stock it. For reference, I'm planning on using an old 55 gallon tank for a sump, so there will be a little more than 180 total gallons of water. I definitely want to do an Oscar in the tank, so now I'm just debating tankmates. In searching the web, I discovered Fire Eels and would love to include one of them, they look like they would go great with an O. I also have a Common Pleco (about 12" long) in my 75 gallon tank that I intend on moving to the 180.

Here are the fish that I'm looking at as a possibility:
Tiger Oscar
Fire Eel
Jack Dempsey
Banded Leporinus
Blue Acara or Green Terror
Common Pleco

I am thinking one of each of those and I would like to get all of them young, so they can grow together. What are your guys' thoughts on this, could it work?

ampped

Feeder Fish
Aug 10, 2017
Thanks for the input. If I could go back, I would have gotten a different Pleco, didn't realize what I was getting into when I got him as a little guy, but live and learn I guess. I plan on replacing him with something a little better suited for my 75. I've also been tossing around a Black Ghost Knife Fish as a possibility for the 180, in place of one of the others.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Thanks for the input. If I could go back, I would have gotten a different Pleco, didn't realize what I was getting into when I got him as a little guy, but live and learn I guess. I plan on replacing him with something a little better suited for my 75. I've also been tossing around a Black Ghost Knife Fish as a possibility for the 180, in place of one of the others.
Black.ghost knifes r my cryptonite African knifefish and any other knife fish but mine BGKF don't seem 2 like my water

Adam Fisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
JD can sometimes be an issue with an oscar but with that size tank you should be ok. Severums work brilliant with oscars from my experience.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Yeah totally, that's why they have the name green terror.

Because they are super laid back and like a pussycat.
compared to other big cichlids they are nothing I've had over 20 in my time 3 inch - 7 inch males they will bully what they can but plenty of cichlids and fish are meaner texas cichlids, red devil, vieja, tilapia, parachromis etc, large pike cichlids, for south American cichlids there aggressive but they aint got nothing on central Americans or africans

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store