planning my Oscar tank...

OzzieOscar

Feeder Fish
Jun 26, 2017
g'day all.

I recently picked up a second hand marine tank that I've cleaned out and plan on actually setting it up as a sumped Oscar tank. Problem is, I can't figure out how many Oscars I can have. When I plug the dimensions into the calculator here it comes out to be 130 gallons, just 4.25 feet long, just under 2 feet front to back and just over 2.5 feet tall.

I would really like eventually have a pair of Oscars and maybe a small group of Silver Dollars, but am also fine if I have to only have one big fella (or girl) and then a group of Silver Dollars.

If I can have 2 Oscars in the tank, what's the best way to go about pairing them? get a group of 4 or 6 and let them pair off or???

Cheers in advance!

timeshoy

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2017
Bulgaria
I think 2 oscars should be fine, not so shure about the s.dolars. And yes, take a group of small oscars and wheit for two of them to pare.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If a pair 2 oscars can work. If not I'd say 1 Oscar with a group of dollars would be ideal imo :)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Imo sd and pairs of oscars need a 6 ft tank. Might get away with one oscars.
Dollars like the long tanks. I agree

OzzieOscar

Feeder Fish
Jun 26, 2017
So just one Oscar and no other fish? Or would there be a different tankmate suggestion? If I can only have one Oscar in the tank that's fine...I've kinda fallen for these guys.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
At 130 and 4' long there's just not enough room for 2 full grown oscars to have room to move around. Add in any normal deco and there's even less room. I would recommend 5-6 Pictus catfish. They are relatively (to other catfish and especially plecos) low biomass and really efficient at cleaning food off the bottom, which with an oscar is a nice plus. One concern might be that at full size an oscar can open its mouth big enough to get a pictus started in its mouth but pictus are both long and fast so you shouldn't have to worry about predation.

Reactions: dan518

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Imo sd and pairs of oscars need a 6 ft tank. Might get away with one oscars.
You are correct. My current adult pair of O's are in a 4ft 75g for the next couple weeks until their forever home goes up. The aggression is pretty high from them at the moment. Most times they are cool with each other and everyone else in the tank, but on nights like last night it was all out war.

Reactions: tlindsey

OzzieOscar

Feeder Fish
Jun 26, 2017
Would a group of clown loaches be compatible? I dont plan on setting this up for a few months at least as we will be moving into a new house, maybe I try and sell my 4 foot setup and get a 6foot? Thats if I can convince the other half that is

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store