Plant ID please! Moss or Algae?

EDzLebanon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2017
Hello everyone.
New member here and first post! Sorry in advance if I breach any rules :D

OK so I found this plant growing in the water sump of our home heating system, can you please help me identify it? ... and was wondering if it was safe to put in a fish aquarium. I tried searching around for something close, and it seems to resemble hair algae which is considered bad so not sure if it would be a wise move. The sump is mostly dim (closed) so this doesn't seem to need any light to grow. The tank is a bit rusty so not sure if it feeds on iron rust or how it grows, but seems to be flourishing. Which means I would also need to wash it properly before adding it in the aquarium. Im also worried it might carry critters or something ...but It looked very beautiful in the sump with the strings hanging vertically. At first it looked as if it had roots but when I grabbed a bunch it turned out to be just floating that way. It doesnt look as impressive now that i placed it bunched up in a bucket (untill I figure out what to do with it hehe) but I assure you originally it was beautiful.
Can this be used for anything or should I just throw it away? Food for my oscar?

PS: Fish stores where I live rarely sell any aquarium plants, and when they do occasionally its the ugly types that are also overpriced...that's why Im interested that much in this :)

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you!

20170508_152601.jpg 20170508_152612.jpg 20170508_152618.jpg

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Looks like a moss, did you ever add any water from fish tanks too it? Moss is unbelievably hardy

Reactions: GamerChick5567

EDzLebanon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2017
Looks like a moss, did you ever add any water from fish tanks too it? Moss is unbelievably hardy
No the sump it was in has regular tap water but that has obviously aged since the same water runs in the heating system over and over again untill more is needed then new tap water is automatically topped into the system.

EDzLebanon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2017
I think I found it ! Its most probably Stringy Moss (Leptodictyum riparium). Still reading about it. Would that be safe for aquariums or would it somehow alter my water parameters in some bad way?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store