Plant id

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
This was sold to me as a sword. I'm hoping someone knows what kind it is. I was under the impression it was an amazon sword and would get to be at last a foot tall. Now I'm wondering if it's a dwarf variety?
I bought two plants on April 15th. They have been growing well as far as I can tell. I just took a baby off each plant yesterday. I could easily split them again, but figured once was enough for now. The taller of the two main plants is only 5-6in tall. The other around 4 or so.
The leaves that grew in once the plant adjusted are long a slender. They were short and rounded when I bought them.
In the picture the back plant is the one I bought. In the front right is the baby I took off it. (Please excuse the pleco poop>.< It always goes on a pooping spree after a wc)
IMG_0983.JPG

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Looks like an Amazon sword to me. The round leaves are because the plant was grown out of water. In this case the leaves will be more rigid and rounder. The submersed growth will be long and slender. They grow huge and fairly quickly giving the right conditions are met.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Looks like an Amazon sword to me. The round leaves are because the plant was grown out of water. In this case the leaves will be more rigid and rounder. The submersed growth will be long and slender. They grow huge and fairly quickly giving the right conditions are met.
Huh, I didn't know it could be grown out of water. So am I not seeing a lot of hight because I don't do co2 then? I add flourish every 3-4days when I do a wc but that's it for the plants. No root tabs, no dirt, no co2.
I would have thought over the past few months I would have seen more hight by now.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
All aquatic plants or should I say most aquatic plants can actually do quite well out of water. When you go to a normal fish store you will see a lot of plants there most of which have been grown in nurseries in a immersed form. The growth rate that you're seeing in regards to your Amazon sword I believe is normal, you are not running CO2 you don't have dirt you probably don't have optimal lighting so I wouldn't expect too much too fast. Give it time and it will grow.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Ok, thank you philipraposo1982 philipraposo1982 .
Yes, I know my lighting isn't ideal either. For some reason I spaced out when picking my lights and didn't get a full spectrum. They do get a lot of natural light, and that is probably what saves me from having no growth at all. Haha
That is good to know. I was starting to think I just bought the wrong type. All my other plants have reached the top of the tank and then some, so it's ok if these guys stay short for some time.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've had swords get emergent growth above the tanks surface many times, and those leaves are always more round, and even have a different texture.
The areas where aquatic plants live often goes between submerged and emerged periods depending on the season.

[/URL
The one in the photos above is about 3 ft tall.
below is an Anubius growing out of a smaller tank, it doesn't do quite as well as an emergent.
[URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/dstuer/media/plants/anubis/IMG_0719_zps18dc55d3.jpg.html]

Below the same Anubius much smaller

and flowering above the surface

[/URL]

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Gorgeous pictures duanes duanes , are they all yours? Do you use co2 to see that kinda growth?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
No CO2, no special lighting (just a shop light), but that tank was on a south wall, and got natural sunlight a few hours per day, though the back of the tank had styrofoam panels taped to it.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
That's great.
I'm thinking of moving my 10gl over to the east and south windows in my sunroom. Right now it is against the west wall across from them and not getting enough natural light to make a difference.
It has a lid with tiny leds in the top. I'd like to have it be topless with emerging plants.
I've been experimenting with growing a baby hosta and an arrow plant in the hob filter. So far they aren't dying. Lol
I want my little tank to house guppies and snails eventually. So I need it to be heavily planted with fast growers.

As for the 75, everything but the swords have been growing great. Even my vallisneria is growing much better then it has in the past. I can tell something is lacking though. It won't flower. The buds come up a little and then die:/

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
I avoid exposure to ambient sunlight in order to minimize algae issues. Just get a decent 6500K or 6700K light, either LED or T5s, and your plants should do just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store