• Sponge

• Internal

Results are only viewable after voting.

jbrig98

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2016
QLD Australia
I just recently got given a free 2 by 1 foot rimless tank and wanting to breed guppies and have anacharis in it what other fish,plants and filter would you recommend

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Yeah, definitely cover the intake if you want a filter other than the sponge filter. You could cut a piece of sponge to fit over the intake. You can also use a fish net or a ladies nylon sock (the free ones you get for trying on high heels haha). I breed guppies in my 20 long, I have a cheapo azoo sponge filter with a tetra whisper 10 air pump. Very quiet and has been running for 2+ years with no issues. I also have the tetra whisper 20i internal filter which I bought with the tank's rebate thing, with an old fish net attached. It's such a quiet filter and very durable, but I lost so many fry to that thing without the net. When I bred mollies for a few years that was the #1 cause of death except bob the betta, LOL.

I breed as feeders right now and grow them to about .5-1". Not including the parents haha. There is about 50 babies I would guess, plus my 8 corries. Mine are cannibalistic though for the newborns or week olds for whatever reason so grow outs are kinda rare hahahah. You should have a reasonably strong filter and keep up on water changes. I try to do at least 3 25-50% changes a week. The fry are usually more sensitive than the adults to nitrates and the like.

Also for plants, floaters are good. Guppies like to stay at the top and they will eat microorganisms and algae from them. The fry feel very safe in the leaves and roots as well. In my tank right now I have hornwort, anacharis, and stem plants. I have hygrophila, jungle and corkscrew vallisneria, bacopa monnieri, and brown crypt wendettis. I use no co2 on this tank, they are all clippings or plantlets from my 90, which is fully flourish dosed and co2'd. Ferts in the 20 are from the fishies. I also have pothos growing out of the back. Lighting is a single t8 which is old, needs a replacement soon.

Oh, frogbit and duckweed is also good but that stuff will need maintinance or it will block light for your other plants and take over everything FAST. Hope this helps. Been keeping livebearers and undemanding plants for eons. :p

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
I use my small gravel vac and a bucket on that tank. That way if they get sucked up they don't go in the yard like they would on the 90 gallon with the water changer/spigot.

Also I usually have to either lure them away with food or by tapping the glass so they follow me. Water changes are annoying. I usually have to restart my vacuum several times haha. Or an old soda cup works if you can keep them from swimming in it. Friendly and curious things.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Not really sure on the undergravel filters. It would be a pain in the butt probably. Cleaning it would ruin the plants after ripping the substrate up and many plants like crypts don't like to be transplanted like at all in my experience.

I use sand as a substrate. There are also fancy planted tank ones that have fertilizers in them, could look into that.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
With live plants you just siphon near the very surface, no need to siphon up a ton of sand. Malasian Trumpet Snails stir up substrate nicely. You can probably get them for free from your LFS.

On my 10 gallon tank with shrimp and chili rasboras, I use a python still, but I use a filter bag rubber banded over the end so I don't suck up fish. I wonder if that would work in this circumstance maybe? I'm not familiar with guppies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store