Planted aquarium

Chris@els

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2016
Hi guys
I'm think of trying a few plants in my aquarium so I got some and planted it. I have a lepirenus that uproots it all the time do they do that.
Then another thing love big cichlids is there any cichlids that can live with a few plants?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Leporinus will eat plants. Part of their diet. Try larger carnivorous cichlids which I believe would be like large dovii. But that’s another problem when dealing with large cichlids.

Reactions: tlindsey

Chris@els

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2016
Thanks I'm thinking of taking getting a pair of jaguar cichlid would they work with plants

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not completely sure. Will see what duanes duanes thinks.

TheNonEuclidean

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
SC
Most large cichlids will uproot plants, intentionally or unintentionally. You might could get by by either securing plants to driftwood or stacking large rocks around the roots.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In my experience, managuense (especially a pair) are going to be consumate interior decorators that uproot any plant, dig holes, and rearrange any furniture not too heavy to move, to their own liking, unless the tank is 500 gallons or more.
A large emergent plant like papyrus is a possibility, as long as its well rooted in a pot.

Papyrus above
Floating plants are about the only normal aquatic type that will probably work, and if tasty enough will be eaten or torn to shreds..
If you want a planted cichlid tank, then many smaller and medium size shoaling cichlids can work.
I happen to prefer planted tanks, and find certain cichlids work well, but the tank must be large enough, and usually heavily planted long before the cichlids are added, a few plants usually don't cut it, the tanks to be heavily planted from the start, the plants need numbers that far out weigh the fish so the root systems have chance to lock in.
Below a planted tank for Cribroheros rostratum
Below my current venture, a 180 gal with a dozen Andinoacara coeruleopunctatus for cichlids , with Vallisneria, and Hydrilla for the plants. I added plants about 6 to 8 weeks before the cichlids were added to give the plants time to get a foothold. The largest cichlid tops out at about 6".
fullsizeoutput_1546.jpeg

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store