Please help, betta with tumors!! pic included

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
I'm helping a fellow fishkeeper with their poor betta. I was hoping you all would have some suggestions...

My 1 1/2 year old betta started developing lumps on his sides. It is clear at this point that his lump is fluid filled. I can see through it.
Here is a photo

I took those photos last night July 4th.
I've given him kanaplex. He's on the last batch now.
I've had people tell me to give him fresh garlic juice on his food.
The lump is clearly fluid filled. It's not a tumor. It's not solid.
What can I do????????

If you can't see the photos in this, you can cut and paste what's inside the

rob0521

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
south florida
That doesn't look good, other people should be replying to help soon.

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
other people should be replying to help soon
I hope so! I really need to get back to her as soon as possible. Time is so critical with these kinds of betta illnesses. I just can't find anything on the internet about lumps on bettas. Nothing really fits that description and I can't find any recommendations for treatment either.

She is currently treating him with Kanaplex which is a med designed to be absorbed by the fish or directly fed along with frozen food I believe. I don't know what method she is using obviously it's not helping.

Would changing medications to something like Maracyn-two and using some Epsom salt be a good idea?

Thank you!!:( ;)

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
I don't know but it looks like maybe his intestinal track ruptured.
Don't you think that would cause a quick death if that happened though?

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
Well, here's how it turned out:

Okay, these are two recent replies back:

Quote:
Thank you so much. I wrote the local university and was given the name of aquatic vets. I went to see one this morning.
He said that Princess had a fluid buildup under his scales.
He said that this can happen, similiarly to an infected hair folicle. He said that the fluid built up under his epidermis.
When I took Princess on the car ride, the bubble must have opened. It was greatly reduced by the time the vet saw him.
Luckily, I brought photos. He looked them all over. He looked at Princess under a microscope. He said that is was rare, but happens sometime. Fluid accumulates under the top layer of skin. That what was causing the swelling.

He felt that I should use Jungle Parasite Clear to help the other bloat. He said the rest of the bloat might be age.

I appreciate your help. Princess is home and hopefully on the road to recovery! Smile

And now from me:
Joanne also called the vet back and they said to treat the water with antibiotics the Kanamycin which is what she had already been using.

Well, I guess we've got this pretty much covered. The future is uncertain for "Princess" the betta...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store