Please HELP my piranha!!

ELForbes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2021
maybe put the old filter back and run in conjunction with new filter until it’s established-

test water with API - grab some prime to make water safe (have to dose every day)

post water param

I should have clarified that better- I no longer have the original filter (it died), so I'd be buying a new version of the original.

But thank you- I did what you said (and two other steps), and he's back to normal now.

Thank you so much for responding!!

Reactions: dr exum

ELForbes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2021
Hey E ELForbes ,

I am no expert on RBP's but 17 years old is quite old. Do you think it might be old age causing this problem. This is just purely a guess as I don't know how long they are supposed to live. GL with your fish.

I'm not sure, either, but I've heard they can love between 20-30. Honestly, I was worried it was age, but it had happened so quickly!

Update: he's better now! Replaced the nitrite and ammonia pads then added the liquid recommended.

Thank you for your response!!

Reactions: dr exum

ELForbes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2021
Sort out your water parameters. It’s probably the cause. Also, make sure you check your ph and no stray voltage. I lost my rhom at 17 years old due to stray voltage that I caught too late.
I would have never considered a voltage issue!! I'll keep that in mind for the future!!

Update: he's better now! Replaced the nitrite and ammonia pads then added the liquid recommended.

Reactions: tlindsey

ELForbes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2021
I think so. Average for most fish is still in the 10-15 year range. Piranhas also fall there, but 25 ish is possible. I’m pretty sure pacus can go even longer.
Good care is the key to long lives. Most American cichlids you can expect 10-20 years depending on species. Someone on here was posting about a 14 year old Midas, and it looked as good as Jex’s fish Casper (who is only 3). I wouldn’t be surprised if it had at least another 10 years. I’ve even read about 40+ year old clownfish.
Essentially, expect 10-15 years for most mid size aquarium fish that are properly cared for, and double it under perfect conditions.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Most important part of a new filter is that it needs time for the beneficial bacteria to seed and get established. If you have the old filter media, you should have put it in the new filter. Continue to monitor ammonia and nitrite as they will probably continue to spike until you have sufficient beneficial bacteria. If you are added Safe/Prime on a daily basis then you should be good to go. There is also beneficial bacteria in a bottle that you can buy that sometimes helps to cycle quicker.

Reactions: Deadeye and dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store