Pleco death question

pennyg

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2019
Central Ohio
I just lost my 7 inch common plecostomus I have had for I think 4 years? It used to be in the 55g African cichlid tank but a few months ago I moved it to the 125g with my South American cichlids, 2 oscars, a red shoulder sev, a chocolate cichlid and a small Raph cat. I was out of town for the weekend but my son feeds my fish while I am away. I don't know if something went down over the weekend but I noticed algae building up when I got home last night. Usually my pleco keeps a tidy tank, also gets pleco wafers and zucchini for its diet. Anyway I thought I saw a whitish area on its upper lip last night but the tank was already in night time lighting so was hard to see. I planned on getting a better look after work today. My son though reported to me he found it dead in the tank around noon. I am mystified as to what caused it to die. I wouldn't think even a small injury would be a killer in only a few days. I just checked water. I usually do WC 40% on Sundays but haven't gotten a chance to yet this week so nitrates are 40 ppm, ammonia and nitrite are zero.
I can maybe see reddish place by the mouth parts which were not evident last night for sure. My son put the fish in the freezer so I am thawing it now to get a better look at its condition. I definitely didn't see any fins nipped or the like last night just the spot on the lip.
Can I get another plecostomus for the tank? Or is it just not a good place for one with my particular oscars? I never saw any aggressive behavior towards the pleco at any point but oscars can be... you know, oscars.
Any advice?

pennyg

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2019
Central Ohio
I wanted to add my oscars are only a year old and about the same length as the pleco, 7 inches. The chocolate and sev are slightly smaller. Not sure that matters

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
maybe it got spooked and ran the side of the tank really hard.

With a 125g and the current stocking, I wouldn't add anymore fish to the tank. It will be more than fully stocked when all fish reach adulthood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store