Pleco Not Eating

niverren

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2014
Dallas, TX
Hi, All. This is my first post, and I honestly did scour the threads for an answer before making a new one. I have lurked for quite a while but this is the first time I have ventured a post.

My 2.5 year old common plec, Poseidon, has not eaten for two weeks now.

He is alone in a 55 gal (he has always been our only fish; there have never been other fish or live plants in the tank). We run a Fluval 305 cannister with Biomax, charcoal, foam pads, and polishing pads, with weekly water changes and daily gravel cleanup with the Eheim Quick vac pro. Water parameters are perfect other than our hard Dallas water, but he has been subjected to that since he was a baby.

He shows absolutely no signs of external distress, and as he is a big boy and likes to stick on the front or side of the glass, it's easy to get up close to inspect him. We have carefully watched his belly since we discovered he was not eating (he's alone, so it's easy to tell when the food has not been touched), and he neither looks sunken nor bloated despite 2 weeks with nothing. He has not pooped at all and our last few treatment water changes have looked like clear water; there is just no mess in the tank.

We have treated for bacteria, treated with salt, and just finished Dr Harrison's flubendazole treatment, all with absolutely no effects, either positive or negative.

The fish adamantly refuses to eat, although aside from a bit of lethargy (he is normally an extremely lazy fish, now only a little more so) nothing else seems to be wrong with him.

I have read a lot about stunted fish, though it seems like that usually happens with a small fish one thinks should be larger (forgive me if I am incorrect). My fish came home as a 1 inch baby and is now a 16-inch monster. My husband absolutely does not believe we need a larger tank, as the LFS told us when we bought the little guy that you need "one gallon per inch". They even suggested we could have TWO adult commons in the same 55 gal tank, since that would be a potential 48 inches of fish with 7 gallons to spare. Foolishly, as first-time fish owners, we believed them, and now I can't convince my husband to get a bigger tank.

Any thoughts? I always wanted a pleco, just a pleco, and he's like a member of the family. :(

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
2 weeks isnt a long time to not eat, for a big fish; nevertheless I can understand where you're coming from. I'd try different foods to see if he touches any of them, blanched vegetables mainly.

If its believed to be constipation, Epsom salts are the usual treatment.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

niverren

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2014
Dallas, TX
Thank you, Convinct; that is very comforting to read. I am definitely guilty of giving him the same food every day (omega one veggie rounds, frozen brine shrimp with spirulina, and either fresh cucumber or fresh melon, along with his driftwood). Hopefully he is just striking to get some variety. Thanks again. :)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Try courgette, mine used to love it, and I think it has slightly better nutrition

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

niverren

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2014
Dallas, TX
Going on 3 weeks now with no food at all. :( How long can he survive without food? We have tried all kinds of yummy things with no response.

niverren

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2014
Dallas, TX
My pleco still has not eaten since mid-July. Someone told me their big pleco once fasted "all winter", but we are going on 4 months now. Has anyone EVER heard of this? He is the ONLY fish in the tank, so it is easy to see that he does not eat anything we give him. He also is not munching his wood or cleaning up algae in the tank (he never cleaned the algae, but has not started doing it since his hunger strike either). We have treated for every kind of disease and parasite to no avail. Nothing looks wrong with him; he doesn't even look skinny other than some shrinkage of the fat pockets on top of his head. How is this even possible?!?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
That is pretty odd and I can understand the concern. Common Plecos get lazier with age and may need less food energy but 4 months is a long time. As far as I know, it is typically big carnivores like alligators, boas, large cats and so on take long stretches between large meals. Typically, herbivores like cows, deer and I'd imagine, plecos need to eat pretty consistently.

Be careful with treating your fish with meds for unknown or unclear illnesses. It could weaken and kill your fish.

You should post your water parameters so we can assess if there is a problem. Try raising the temp as that will increase the pleco's metabolism and get him more active and hungry.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I also have hard water, and my pleco had no issues with it

Have you tried removing all the gravel in the tank? He might be eating detrius from the substrate or destroying his poo. As long as his belly is not sunken in, I wouldn't worry about not eating. He must be eating something at night, maybe wood?

One thing to try is regular sinking cichlid pellets. My old common pleco quit eating veggie pellets and any vegetables that I offered, and consumed the cichlid pellets that my other fish were eating.

Brastorog

Feeder Fish
Sep 8, 2019
I apologize for writing in such an old branch. I have exactly the same situation. How did it end?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store