Plywood Aquarium Basic Questions

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Good afternoon MFKers.

I am in the very early and conceptual stages of finishing the basement of our new home.

The original plan was for one of the rooms to function as my office /mancave/ fishroom, I would have my 135g against one wall, a 29g on a wall next to my computer desk, 20g XT terrarium, and then would build a 75g into the wall separating the office from the family room so you could see through the aquarium from my office into the family room or vice versa.

Well my awesome wife through a wrench in the gears last week after seeing a video of freshwater stingrays inquired "can we get those?" I explained to her that they would need like a 250-300g aquarium, to which she basically replied, "well, you better get started building it cause I want some stringrays" :)

My questions are regarding plywood tank construction. I looked through the sticky complilation, and I think I understand the basics, but I have a tenous grasp of carpentry at best, so I want to make sure I understand and prepare fully.

- First, is it feasible/possible to build a plywood tank that has both a front and well as rear viewing windows?

- Second, what are some of the complications with building a large aquarium in-wall? I would plan to have cabinet door style access above and below the aquarium , and there is an existing drain that would be built into the wall so I can easy tie into it for doing WC. I have a well and am going to tie into my sprinkler system so I can turn on the pump and use well water from a spigot i will install in the wall. I assume I will want to use pressure treated 2x4s and the "bathroom" moisture/mildew resistant sheet rock, and marine plywood?

I want to thank all of you in advance, I will be the first person to tell you that I am not a construction expert. But I am will to listen to any sound advice you all are willing to offer and will take a measured and approach so I can make as few (probably still many) mistakes as possible

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
You can put a window pretty much anywhere you can cut a hole, front/back/ends, as long as you build the frame strong enough to maintain integrity of the tank. Most people seem to place their tanks against a wall rather than as a room divider, so there's no need for the second window... that and glass is spendier than plywood.

Reactions: elting44

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
You can put a window pretty much anywhere you can cut a hole, front/back/ends, as long as you build the frame strong enough to maintain integrity of the tank. Most people seem to place their tanks against a wall rather than as a room divider, so there's no need for the second window... that and glass is spendier than plywood.
Thanks for the reply, my plan is to err on the side of caution and make the tank and stand as stout as I can, even if it is a bit overkill. This will hopefully make up for my ineptitude with construction.

From my lurking and research it seems like the seal between the glass and tank seems to be the main point of failure in most cases, so adding that 2nd window is doubling my exposure to that particular point of failure.

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
very feasible to have multiple windows.

Because you will be covering it with epoxy, and because pressure treated lumber has some nasty chemicals in it, its just fine to use regular construction grade material.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
very feasible to have multiple windows.

Because you will be covering it with epoxy, and because pressure treated lumber has some nasty chemicals in it, its just fine to use regular construction grade material.
Thanks for the advice. I am equal parts excited and scared poop-less about this endeavor, which I hope will lend well to me making fewer mistakes.

Reactions: Leebtattoos

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
OK, thanks for everyone who has helped so far. I have been continuing my researching while finishing my 135g's canopy and I have a new batch of questions to help with my theorycrafting on my plywood build.

My tentative plans for dimensions of the tank are based on the length of the wall and layout of the rooms the tank will be separating, as well as leaving enough room for me to have comfortable space for maintenance. These are estimates, and may change throughout the design and R&D process.

The following questions are assuming the tank is going to be 66" L X 36" W X 30" H for a roughly 308g volume. I would like to have 60" x 25" viewing windows on the front and back (3" on each side to hide overflows and returns, 2 1/2" on top and bottom to mask substrate and water level)

1.) Is there a good viewing window thickness rule of thumb based on tank height and length and width? I found the SA Acrylic calculator and some glass calculators, but they seem to be for all glass or all acrylic tanks. I am leaning toward acrylic windows based on cost and weight, but am not convinced. Assuming from above dimensions, I believe I would need a sheet of clear cast acrylic 64 inches long and at least 29 inches tall. That would give me 2" of overlap for the sides and top of the viewing windows and 2 1/2" on the bottom. Is this correct/reasonable? If so, how thick of acrylic would I need, 3/8th or 1/2", bigger? bear in mind this is my first build and I would rather err on the side of overbuilding.

2.) as far stand construction goes, for a ~300g with a 66" x 36" footprint, does there need to be any vertical supports in the middle or will corner supports be enough. I plan on doing a sump in the stand, but the specifics for that are questions for another day :)

3.) This one for construction folks. Is it up to code to have a sandwiched 2x10 header across 66" gap in a load bearing basement wall with side by side 2x4s or will I need some other support beams? see picture belowHeader.jpg

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Bump for answer regarding acrylic thickness for front and back 64" X 29" viewing windows on a 66" X 30" plywood tank. Thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store