Plywood question

GrrenZMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2021
Hey all, need to get some advice on plywood. I have just started building my 10x5 ft plywood tank and got all the framing finished. I was just about to put the plywood sheets in and started to wonder if I had the correct wood. I brought sheets of pure bond red oak plywood from homedepot. In you guys opinion is that type of plywood sufficient to be used as walls?
would like to get some clarification before I screw everything in and can’t turn back.

I added a picture of my build for reference.

Thanks

906F3B86-2341-4C74-B805-ADDCACB3ABC1.jpeg

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Looks solid! Nice start. I assume the red oak has a nice finish and limited voids? If so think you are good to go. That is probably higher end than what I used. I used a mix of ACx grade ply for my build.

How are you waterproofing?

GrrenZMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2021
Yes, it does have a nice finish on it. I have already started cutting my panels out and from the cuts I don't' see any voids. I am going to go ahead and start putting the panels in.

I am going to be using pond armor with fiber glass on seams.

Ill keep this post updated as I continue to make progress

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Yes, it does have a nice finish on it. I have already started cutting my panels out and from the cuts I don't' see any voids. I am going to go ahead and start putting the panels in.

I am going to be using pond armor with fiber glass on seams.

Ill keep this post updated as I continue to make progress
I even used BC grade on a few of my panels. I did glass my entire tank. You are on the right track. Keep us updated, you are off to a great start.

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Yessir. I will give my 2cents tomorrow. Finishing up some stuff in the garage at the moment. ?

Reactions: Matteus

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Any cabinet grade plywood will work fine. If anything i would think oak would soak up less material for your 1st coat of epoxy, so thats great. I am assuming it is at least 3/4" thick. If there are any voids I just spackle them prior to glass and epoxy. I recently had problems with pond armor for the first time on a build for someone else. I have used their product for several builds in the past with no problems. But I will be finding another brand of product for my next build. If the part A of the epoxy has any kind of grit in it do not use it. Get your money back. Your build looks nice! Look forward to updates.

• Wow

GrrenZMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2021
Thanks for the tips, I do have 3/4 thick. I will make sure to check part , before I start . I ordered it online so no telling how old it is lol.
I made some more progress. Had to stop when I ran out of filler for the bolt holes.

For the glass, I ending up find a table top glass that’s 3/4 thick for $620 shipped. It not nothing like the nice glass ultra clear glassbut it will work for this project. Has a slight green tint, but I can live with that

E6B661B6-AE31-4C9A-928F-DABE5E0AE123.jpeg

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Looking good. Any questions don't hesitate to reach out. Quite a few lessons learned with mine. First thing make sure you give silicone time to dry. Removing a 300lb panel with 3" of silicone around the perimeter is no fun. Lol

• Wow

GrrenZMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2021
Made some progress. Painted the outside and sanded the inside.

I put it on some insulation foam because my garage floor isn’t level. After I did thatI noticed that one corner has a gap between the foam and bottom of the tank. I think this happened when I left the tank on dollies for two corners while I was painting it. Going to let it sit for a few days and see if that changes anything. Anyone have any ideas?

3632DB72-7330-4B03-AD2C-BD03DEE0BCCF.jpeg

83ECDA44-5087-463C-B130-2AD7E268C06E.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store