Plywood tank ideas for iridescent sharks

Rgreenfield3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2017
Northwest indiana
Hey everyone I'm knew here as a member but have been browsing around the site for a while. A couple years ago I had bought at the time what I thought were bala sharks but after they had started getting pretty big I had found out they were in fact iridescent sharks. Rather than letting them sit in my 55 gallon tank I would like to build them a more suitable home but I don't want to spend a million dollars either. I have access to an endless supply of free oak 4x4s from my job and could probably spend maybe a grand on the glass. I'm really open to suggestions as I'm more concerned for my fish than I am with cost. I was thinking maybe a 8'x4'x4' but the price of acrylic seems way out of my budget. I'll be building this in my basement if that amounts to anything. Anyways thanks guys and I hope to hear some good responses soon. Thanks.

Reactions: tlindsey

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Just do some research, there's LOADS of build threads on here with tons of great ideas and information. I can tell you my 500 gallon 6x4x3 cost me right at $1000 And making it 8x4x3 would not of cost but a hundred more or so but I was limited by space. Good luck with your build, just take your time. Do lots of reading then lots of drawing and measuring, then more drawing and measuring, then rechecking your drawing and measuring before you start cutting :)

Rgreenfield3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2017
Northwest indiana
Just do some research, there's LOADS of build threads on here with tons of great ideas and information. I can tell you my 500 gallon 6x4x3 cost me right at $1000 And making it 8x4x3 would not of cost but a hundred more or so but I was limited by space. Good luck with your build, just take your time. Do lots of reading then lots of drawing and measuring, then more drawing and measuring, then rechecking your drawing and measuring before you start cutting :)
Thanks a million I'm loving the site so far. Nice to see people as passionate about fish as I am. The aquariums I'm finding here are truly amazing.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Never built a Plywood Aquarium but that is very crucial advice that was given.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
If you've had them a couple of years, and there still in a 55; how big are they? At a year old iridescent's should be well over a foot. Any pics? Are you sure they ate iridescent? Also an 8x4 won't really work for one, let alone a few iridescents, they ate constant swimmers and are very chunky. I'm not bashing or criticising, just wanting look out for a fellow enthusiast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store