Plywood tanks and Gyre pumps?

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
Hello everyone. I'm just trying to improve my filtration in my Plywood aquarium. The tank is 2 3/4" panels glued together so 1.5" thick. Will the magnets on a typical gyre pump (those manufactured by jecod) be able to hold through those thick of walls?

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Hello everyone. I'm just trying to improve my filtration in my Plywood aquarium. The tank is 2 3/4" panels glued together so 1.5" thick. Will the magnets on a typical gyre pump (those manufactured by jecod) be able to hold through those thick of walls?

No, I had one that held as long as it wasn't bumped on a single piece of 3/4" plywood. These magnets were designed for 1" acrylic.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
no but if you invest in rare earth magnets, they will be suitable. can be expensive and there are dangers with very strong magnets. I made my own glass magnets cleaners for 60mm thick glass.

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Another option would be to use a forstner bit the same diameter as your magnet to drill a partial hole and then glue your magnet into that opening. This would reduce the thickness of the wall under the magnet. Shouldn’t compromise your structure since you’re gluing in the magnet replacing some of the material that you’ve removed. Be careful not to go all the way through though!

Reactions: TexasMFK31
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store