PNW Predator Pond - Is it possible?

VPBassist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2011
Seattle
Good morning MFK!

I have a pretty elaborate dream but I do not know if it is even within the realm of possibility. I would like to build an outdoor pond for SA/CA cichlids, catfish, and SA aros but I live north of Seattle WA. It gets cold here in the winter, not Midwest or East coast cold, but it's 25 degrees this morning and in Dec and Jan it can get into the single digits overnight. Overnight temperatures are my one main concern with this build and I was hoping to pick the brain of the collective community to see if we can't brainstorm a way to make this possible.

Current thoughts include:
* Enclosed pond, not unlike an outdoor plywood tank
* Place the pond inside of a greenhouse to trap heat
* Simply pay $$$$ to heat an outdoor pond

What do you think? Is this pipedream possible?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Yulli

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2016
i was considering the same although i live in the north east, same rules apply. I was leaning toward having a tank or 2 with massive sumps, for the winter time.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Pond with a greenhouse over it(the flexible films are cheapest),then u can also have tropical plants and stuff,u should use a outdoor air heater for winter.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Definitely enclosed. Depending on how high or low your waterline is in your area you will save on heating if you can sink the pond down as far as possible. The ground is a good and cheap insulator. Get one of those cool heaters with the automatic shut off.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The more insulation u have (such as dirt) the easier it is to heat a enclosed area

Ericyan3000

Feeder Fish
Mar 21, 2017
I'm so glad you ask this question here. I'm in the same situation like you cuz I want to move my arowana outdoor in a pond. I live in the SF bay area so I know how cold it could be in the winter. I didn't know that a pond could be enclosed. Maybe I should look into that.

Ericyan3000

Feeder Fish
Mar 21, 2017
After some googling, I found this from Costco website "Biostar 1500 Premium Cold Frame". (I can't post a link since I'm still a new member). What I could imagine is to put this frame on top of the entire pond, a build a deck around it. Since I'm keeping arowana, it's perfect to keep the it from jumping out too. It seems a perfect solution. Such a frame could also be DIY I supposed, just need to find the right material.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store