Poly food prep

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Ok so this question comes up alot and is answered by quite a few people in words sometimes pics but not usually a how to vid. So here is my how to vid on feeding tilapia. This would work with any frozen fish fillet though too. Anyone who feeds these should maybe make a video of how they do it also like T thefredpit magpie magpie Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 J jaws7777 .
This one was made in reply to C Cat Fish Mama questions about ropefish feeding. Not calling you out just bringing to your attention hope it helps and sorry for the poor quality and bad actor.......lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I would let the fillet thaw before chopping it up. I soak it in warm water then pat it down with a paper towel. Much easier and less messier

I don't like mincing it either even if they are small fish I feel like it just makes a mess. Prefer just cutting small pieces

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Go to your local fishing store and pick up a cheap bait/fillet knife for like 3 bucks and sharpener. Great for prepping tilapia

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yes those are awesome. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you have to buy a special knife, thats just the one I use for most stuff. I got that about 20 years ago after using that style of knife in a professional kitchen. It's really a multitasker can handle chopping, slicing, dicing, great design if you're in the kitchen alot.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I find it easier to cut it frozen. Just not solid frozen. But either way works, personal preference I guess.
This is my method too. It just seems easier with a partial freeze on it still because it has more of a solid feel as you cut it. Really easy to cut into bite sized pieces. With it fully thawed you are needing that razor sharp knife as J jaws7777 mentioned. Ive done it both ways and perfer the partially frozen myself.

I also will then let it fully thaw before feeding the fish. At this point I will sometimes use a vitamin supplement like Boyd’s to soak the tilapia to give the fish those missing nutrients. Another trick used by J jaws7777 and a few others here is to put pellets inside a piece of fish. I will make a small incision in a piece of the fish and push a pellet in there. This is a good method to help get polys pellet trained. They get used to the little bit of hard texture and even the taste while they get the appeal of the soft fish in their mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store