Polypterus themed tank: Stocking question

GKM

Feeder Fish
Apr 26, 2020
Hi,
long time reader, but my first post :headbang2
I have set up my first predator tank with a length X width X height of 200X60X50 cm (78,7x23,6x19,7 inch).

My Stocking ideas are a bunch of Polypterus and a possible addition of Parachanna Africana/Parachanna Obscura/ Hepsetus Odoe (african only tank). What are the stocking limits for the bigger Polypterus species? I am interested in endlicheri/ornatipinnis/teugelsi/weeksii/lapradei.

Can I have several of those at this tank size with the above stated addition for at least 5 years, or should I stick to the smaller species? All species would be captive-bred (CB) and of course I would like to keep different types.

As an example would this stocking work? I really dont want to overstock the tank and i lack the experience with the bigger species?:

1x polypterus endlicheri (CB)

1x polypterus ornatipinnis (CB)

1x polypterus teugelsi (CB)

2x polypterus weeksii (CB)

1x Hepsetus odoe

1x Parachanna obscura (CB) or 2x Parachanna Africana

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I don't know much about the the polypterus but the two P. africana will unleash hell if they ever form a breeding pair. They are way more aggressive compared to P. obscura in my eyes.

Reactions: GKM

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Should work, biggest one that should grow is the CB ornate, maybe next will be CB teug but sometimes they get stunned on a certain size, samething with CB endli. For the weeksii ive never seen or heard a CB.
Odeo shiuld be gine cause they usually stay 12” in a tank. I had both combination before.

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Should work, biggest one that should grow is the CB ornate, maybe next will be CB teug but sometimes they get stunned on a certain size, samething with CB endli. For the weeksii ive never seen or heard a CB.
Odeo shiuld be gine cause they usually stay 12” in a tank. I had both combination before.
Having a CB weeksii is impossible. They have never been successfully spawned in aquariums. All weeksii in the trade are WC ? I just wanted to let you know.
Good luck with the tank setup!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store