POMACEA BRIDGESII I want to get them what is your experience

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
I found a good deal to buy mystery snail or so called POMACEA BRIDGESII

i have 33 gallon tank and puffers and loaches. I want to actually get themas food but if they survive from puffers and loaches hunt then good for them. I will keep them. What do you think? Anything I should know before I get them?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You are being given a 'fancy' name for common apple snails. Most new world apple snails are in the genus Pomacea, family Ampullariidae (as opposed to old world, which are in the genera Pila and Lanistes). However, Pomacea spp have been introduced nearly worldwide and include the most frequently kept apple snails in Aquaria anywhere. They are bred extensively for the aquarium trade mainly in Asian countries, and at least 2 non-native species are established in the wild in the southern USA and in many other places. Among various types of major agricultural damage they do in the wild is, for instance serious damage in rice paddies.
So, don't look too much for information on Pomacea bridgesii, but for information on apple snails. Many apple snails sold as P. bridgesii are instead P. maculata and P. canaliculata (although P. bridgesii as well) and are some of the worst molluscan invasive species anywhere. In part due to these (good) reasons, in some places there are strongly discouraged (or prohibited), even though they are available in pest stores and internet sources. By the way, the North American and Asian native 'Mystery snails' are in the genus Viviparus, and the family Viviparidae, and are very similar looking, and their biology is also similar.
All of these snails (Ampullariidae and Viviparidae) have an operculum (or 'trap door' which allows them to seal off the aperture when they retreat into the shell), have separate sexes and copulate, and lay eggs outside of the water (upper part of aquaria, pond vegetation, etc.).
In the aquarium, they are sort of neat, but WILL eat plants, and are poop machines, similar to plecos. If one has a single specimen in a tank is one thing, but a colony will run you out of house and ability to keep up with food and water quality.
I do not know if freshwater puffers in aquaria will eat the adults, but certainly will eat young ones.
I hope these notes help you.

Reactions: professorjimjam

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I should have mentioned that two species of Asian 'Mystery snails' (Viviparidae) of the genus Cipangopaludina have also become established extensively in parts of the US, and they cause major damage in waterways, including displacing native snail species (both similar-looking native Viviparids, and FW snails in other families).

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
Pomacea bridgesii is the common mystery snail sold at all the box stores. Maculata and canaliculata are illegal to transport over state lines so are harder to get ahold of usually. Bridgesii in my experience won't eat living plants the other species will clear out planted tanks in hours.

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
You are being given a 'fancy' name for common apple snails. Most new world apple snails are in the genus Pomacea, family Ampullariidae (as opposed to old world, which are in the genera Pila and Lanistes). However, Pomacea spp have been introduced nearly worldwide and include the most frequently kept apple snails in Aquaria anywhere. They are bred extensively for the aquarium trade mainly in Asian countries, and at least 2 non-native species are established in the wild in the southern USA and in many other places. Among various types of major agricultural damage they do in the wild is, for instance serious damage in rice paddies.
So, don't look too much for information on Pomacea bridgesii, but for information on apple snails. Many apple snails sold as P. bridgesii are instead P. maculata and P. canaliculata (although P. bridgesii as well) and are some of the worst molluscan invasive species anywhere. In part due to these (good) reasons, in some places there are strongly discouraged (or prohibited), even though they are available in pest stores and internet sources. By the way, the North American and Asian native 'Mystery snails' are in the genus Viviparus, and the family Viviparidae, and are very similar looking, and their biology is also similar.
All of these snails (Ampullariidae and Viviparidae) have an operculum (or 'trap door' which allows them to seal off the aperture when they retreat into the shell), have separate sexes and copulate, and lay eggs outside of the water (upper part of aquaria, pond vegetation, etc.).
In the aquarium, they are sort of neat, but WILL eat plants, and are poop machines, similar to plecos. If one has a single specimen in a tank is one thing, but a colony will run you out of house and ability to keep up with food and water quality.
I do not know if freshwater puffers in aquaria will eat the adults, but certainly will eat young ones.
I hope these notes help you.
thank you very much. What would you say if I just get 5 or 10 of them? Although I was offered 50 but I will just go with 5 or maybe 10.

here is the picture9E7592A1-4350-4615-95A2-0E4D3DE716B1.jpeg

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
What you show is indeed P. bridgesii. I do not consider them plant safe.
The big question is, would your puffers eat the adults? And if they do before they reproduce, then you need other foods. I think a colony of Planorbid snails may be more sustainable for your purpose.

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
What you show is indeed P. bridgesii. I do not consider them plant safe.
The big question is, would your puffers eat the adults? And if they do before they reproduce, then you need other foods. I think a colony of Planorbid snails may be more sustainable for your purpose.
I had Planorbid snails and don’t have a good experience with themuntil I got rid of them becuade I could not control their reproduction. They were everywhere and polluting the tank like no other fish.

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
Bridgessi is what you have. I consider them plant safe. P. maculata and P. canaliculata will eat every plant in a tank. All of them do fine with fish.
thanks! I am a bit confused, I read form you post that these are plant safe and the next post by FJB says they aren’t plant safe. Can you please confirm is it a typo or these are plant safe?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store