Pond Build........ fun.

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
What part of FL are you in? Does it get cold in the evenings? Do you think you will need a heater?
It's currently sitting at a steady 78, with little fluctuation night to day. We're going to monitor that, but it's insulated pretty well with 2x6 and an inch of foam insulation. We're in west broward county.

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
Tonight's picture. The fountain is also a filter, and uv filter. So two filters running. Had to add a level of pretty for my mom.? Clearing up, I have an ammonia reading, but no nitrite yet. Waiting for it to cycle is the hardest part.

20200528_204622.jpg

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
In this, I'm interested in your stocking thoughts specifically re. winter cold-snaps.

We're on a 1600' mountain behind Montego Bay & there are a few stormy winter nights every year that set a few hours into 15~17C range (low-60s), exacerbated if it's raining. Aside from your roasting summers, I'm thinking our conditions will be similar. I'll be moving the town-office tanks/fish up here over the next 6-weeks: no need for an office through COVID, though we're still on-site every day. The new online normal's gonna be a lovely cost-saver :)

The clown loaches are staying in the house with heater as they went very quiet in a 22C cold-snap in January, but nobody else (incl. silver aro, SDs & zamora cats, ABK, RTS & RBS) seemed terribly fussed. The aro's going to soon outgrow her brand-new 250, hastening the pond - I hear RTC are Ok down to 55F for a few days & these sp. share rivers into Venezuela & Peru (altitude/cool?), so I'm hoping you (et al) will have good news.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I really like how it’s looking. Very beautiful. I don’t remember if you mentioned anywhere, will you be adding any plants? Some emerging or bog plants would be awesome.

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
In this, I'm interested in your stocking thoughts specifically re. winter cold-snaps.

We're on a 1600' mountain behind Montego Bay & there are a few stormy winter nights every year that set a few hours into 15~17C range (low-60s), exacerbated if it's raining. Aside from your roasting summers, I'm thinking our conditions will be similar. I'll be moving the town-office tanks/fish up here over the next 6-weeks: no need for an office through COVID, though we're still on-site every day. The new online normal's gonna be a lovely cost-saver :)

The clown loaches are staying in the house with heater as they went very quiet in a 22C cold-snap in January, but nobody else (incl. silver aro, SDs & zamora cats, ABK, RTS & RBS) seemed terribly fussed. The aro's going to soon outgrow her brand-new 250, hastening the pond - I hear RTC are Ok down to 55F for a few days & these sp. share rivers into Venezuela & Peru (altitude/cool?), so I'm hoping you (et al) will have good news.
We rarely see below 65 at night. And there is a fair bit of insulation. We've had the hybrid in the garage this past winter and the tank he was in was not insulated. It got quite cold a few nights and he did fine. Slowed down a bit, so I didn't feed him until it warmed back up. Our prior red tail also did fine. I can run an in line heater if necessary, so I'm not too concerned.

Reactions: andyroo

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
I really like how it’s looking. Very beautiful. I don’t remember if you mentioned anywhere, will you be adding any plants? Some emerging or bog plants would be awesome.
I'm thinking of putting pothos in a basket on the one corner. It never sees full sun, only one corner gets sun in the am. It's fully covered on our back porch.

Reactions: MrsE88

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
Q: are there worries about the pectoral spines of a (large) catfish -vs- the sheet liner?
Diggin' it, by the way. Taking notes, as I think of refitting the big cut-stone box that used to hold the generator's diesel tank.
As long as they don't get snagged, I don't foresee a problem. I figure if people can keep them without incident in those intex pools, this should be ok.

Reactions: andyroo

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
A few new pictures. Goldfish (450 of them) were put in to cycle this thing. They rarely to never get live food, so this should be fun when we move them in. Moving day should be this weekend some time. I'm getting a zero ammonia and nitrite reading, and with this many little fish, that should mean good things. My only concern is them eating one of the under water lights. If I see anything like that, I'll have to find a way to mount them above the water.

20200601_132628.jpg

20200529_204142.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store