Pond stock for Sailfin Dragon Enclosure

PondSolo

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2019
Hello, my forst post here.
I'm currently working on designing a very large dragon room, where I'll house 5 Weber's Sailfin dragons.
The room will be a 16x16x8, in my spare bedroom. It is a concrete house, and im looking to put in a 4-600 gallon pond in the center of the room for the dragons to swim in.
I'd like to stock the pond with some larger fish, but my concern is they'll bully the dragons.
I'm looking for recommendations on species of fish that would pose little threat to them, and I'm not sure where to start.
I've always been fond of cats, but i know they'll try and eat anything, and with the possibility of breeding and having young dragons in there, id rather be safe than sorry.
If anyone has ideas on good stocking choices feel free to reply!
Thanks for reading folks have a good weekend

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Welcome to MFK!
The first thing that comes to mind when you say pond would be some koi.
I’m not familiar with the reptiles you listed.
Would the lizards be pooing in the pond? How do you plan on keeping water quality?

Reactions: J. H.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
How about a pair of gold Severus,eclipse catfish, a couple Bala sharks and a fire eel?

PondSolo

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2019
Welcome to MFK!
The first thing that comes to mind when you say pond would be some koi.
I’m not familiar with the reptiles you listed.
Would the lizards be pooing in the pond? How do you plan on keeping water quality?
I plan on having a shed on the outside wall of the room to run plumbing to, and building a heavy duty filter to make up for the added waste from the dragons.
They are very similar to Chinese water dragons, originating in indochina, and they're semi-aquatic so they'll definitely take advantage of the pond.
I thought about Koi, but I'm worried the ambient temperature of the room will push the water temps too far for koi, so I'm looking for more tropical species that will get large enough to enjoy viewing from above, but not so large that they'd take a bite out of a dragons tail.

PondSolo

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2019
How about a pair of gold Severus,eclipse catfish, a couple Bala sharks and a fire eel?
Balas is a good idea actually, i always forget how big they can grow. Ill take a look at eclipse cats, of all fish ive always wanted a big cat but known the troubles of keeping them. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

PondSolo

Feeder Fish
Jan 6, 2019
I've read that plecostomus become fairly aggressive as they get larger, but I've been keeping them on the side as a possiblity, as its unlikely the lizards would be in the water long enough to pose them much interest. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I would stick to the less aggressive pleco species such as bristlenose, there are also a number of species of fish you could grow out in that pond, such as crappie, Chinese hifin shark, buffalo fish,

If your ok with keeping North American native fish , check out hog suckers,redear sunfish, madtoms,and striped shiners.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store