Pool filter sand as substrate.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Does it need to be rinsed like play sand, or if i dont stir it up too much while filling the tank will it be ok? Thanks Dudes and Dudettes :thumbsup:

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
hardb0iled said:
Probably does not need to be rinsed as much as play sand but I'd still rinse it. It would probably build up some dust from being moved around in a bag I would think. I gave a mine a rinse before putting it in.
How did you rinse yours? I used pillow cases to rinse my play sand and it sucked.

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
From memory I think I half filled a bucket with the sand then just ran in under a tap and swished it around in the bucket with my hand, keep the tap running so the bucket overflows and keep the sand stirred up and after a minute or two the water should start clearing up a bit. Then repeat with another half bucket of sand until its all done. This should get rid of anything that is fine enough to be suspended in the water.

gdub_76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2005
WI
I used 5 gal buckets, filled 1/3 with the pool filter sand, and left the garden hose running into the bucket until the water was clear. Then, I filled the bucket and dumped the semi-murky water repeatedly until it was clear. I used the cup trick to put in the sand, so i wouldn't stir up too much debris while putting it in the tank. it was a lot easier to do that I originally anticipated. You can see my tank in the attachment here.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7448

Also, check out:
http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/index.php?showtopic=56310

gw

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
is it made of silica?
if it is, you should rinse it because the dust causes silicosis
won't affect fish bad but may irritate their gills