Pool Filter sand

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Hey guys,

Im trying to find the right pool filter sand for my 10 gallon crayfish tank. I wanted to use the pool filter sand because they like to burrow down.

Any ideas where I can get some for cheap around me? Buena Park, CA.

Also, what am i looking for when it comes to the sand?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Hey guys,

Im trying to find the right pool filter sand for my 10 gallon crayfish tank. I wanted to use the pool filter sand because they like to burrow down.

Any ideas where I can get some for cheap around me? Buena Park, CA.

Also, what am i looking for when it comes to the sand?
I would think you should have some pool supply stores around you. I also think Home Depot and Lowes stock some. I think that the most you need to decide on is whether you want to try to find some of the white colored stuff or if you want some of the more natural colored stuff. Otherwise, any pool filter sand should work.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What needs to be done in regards to cleaning? I heard PFS is quite dirty

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What needs to be done in regards to cleaning? I heard PFS is quite dirty
I just dump it right in and let filtration, w/c, and time do the cleaning......but how dusty the pfs is, is probably dependent on the brand

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I just dump it right in and let filtration, w/c, and time do the cleaning......but how dusty the pfs is, is probably dependent on the brand
I'll have to see what I get here, may rinse a bit then let polyester floss do the rest. We are on water shortages here :eek:

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
I would think you should have some pool supply stores around you. I also think Home Depot and Lowes stock some. I think that the most you need to decide on is whether you want to try to find some of the white colored stuff or if you want some of the more natural colored stuff. Otherwise, any pool filter sand should work.
Lowes and Depot doesn't actually carry pool filter sand anymore. I work for Lowes and checked.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Yes. Silica is very inert. It's one of the ingredients in glass. It won't do anything to buffer ph, inverts usually like high ph for their shells, so you may want to add snailshells or something, but I have never kept crayfish, and know nothing about them.

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Yes. Silica is very inert. It's one of the ingredients in glass. It won't do anything to buffer ph, inverts usually like high ph for their shells, so you may want to add snailshells or something, but I have never kept crayfish, and know nothing about them.
What I got is working pretty great right now! Seems like my crayfish likes it. I gave him 3" of it in the tank. I'll post pics once the cloudiness goes away more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store